Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1984 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to get an aftermarket external oil pressure gauge (mechanical?) that I can just bolt onto the dashboard in an '84 DeVille (4.1L)? Is it complicated to do? Has anyone here done it? Can anyone point me in the right direction to help me get started? Do you have any favorite brands/models/kits for this kind of thing?

If it's possible, it would be really great to get a set of gauges to give me oil pressure, engine temperature, etc. It's kind of a pain to go through the OBD in the ECC. @[email protected]

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't appear to be a well versed mechanic. If this is a learning experience for you, I would use an electrical oil gauge. Mechanical gauges nowadays use nylon line which can rub, rupture and spray oil everywhere. Back in the day, they used copper line and ferrules. If you don't smoke get rid of the ash tray and mount them there. Otherwise drivers side A pillar mounts can be installed that are plastic and have the ability to mount 3 gauges facing you at eye level. Temp, oil pressure and volts. Be aware that this engine might show oil pressure as low as 10 LB at idle and some gauges don't have numbers/ lines to show that. Black faced gauges with red needles would match the speedo face best IMO.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't appear to be a well versed mechanic. If this is a learning experience for you, I would use an electrical oil gauge. Mechanical gauges nowadays use nylon line which can rub, rupture and spray oil everywhere. Back in the day, they used copper line and ferrules. If you don't smoke get rid of the ash tray and mount them there. Otherwise drivers side A pillar mounts can be installed that are plastic and have the ability to mount 3 gauges facing you at eye level. Temp, oil pressure and volts. Be aware that this engine might show oil pressure as low as 10 LB at idle and some gauges don't have numbers/ lines to show that. Black faced gauges with red needles would match the speedo face best IMO.
Thanks for the info! What is the disadvantage to doing a mechanical gauge if you're not an experienced mechanic? If mechanical gauges require components that can spray oil everywhere, is there some skilled involved in making that work properly? I'm not super experienced, but I did do the timing chain and water pump on my Caddy two summers ago. Do you think that would be enough experience to allow me to do a mechanical oil pressure gauge?

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
The danger with mechanical nylon line oil gauges is the potential for the line to rub on metal or be stressed somewhere alone it's route from engine to gauge. So... be careful in your routing, use grommets where it passes thru the firewall and make sure you leave slack in the line. Talismandave, thanks for the kudos! And I do like the gauges in the picture!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The danger with mechanical nylon line oil gauges is the potential for the line to rub on metal or be stressed somewhere alone it's route from engine to gauge. So... be careful in your routing, use grommets where it passes thru the firewall and make sure you leave slack in the line.
Will do! Thanks so much for that heads up. :)

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
Someone on the forum turned me on to cyberdyne brand digital gauges. They are available in Amber illumination, and should match our radios/ ECC fairly well. If you go the ashtray route, I would set them behind very light black tinted plexiglas with cut square stock for a border.

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
A lot of old ones also had plastic line. Even copper people were stll leary of using beacuse if gets a leak or the gauge leaks it makes one hell of a mess in the car. Electric oil gauge might not be as accurate but at least it's safer.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
I had electrical at first, wasn't accurate. Would show zero at warm idle. Switched to mechanical and it doesn't go below 20 at warm idle. I was warned by others of electrical gauges....or maybe it was the brand of gauge I used. My electronic temp gauge seem to work fine though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts