Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2013 awd plat escalade
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i wanted to add a dual synched camera dvr to my car. i would also like to add one that would record backwards out of the back window. i'm tired of ppl running into my cars then having to fight with their crappy ins to get things fixed. my question is will adding cameras void my warranty? i have a 2013 platinum escalade.

if adding cameras is ok what kind has anyone found to be good? there are so many and i don't understand all the different specs

·
Registered
1999 Escalade, 2004 CTS, 2003 ESV, Now 2008 Escalade
1,243 Posts
I own a spy shops in nyc and it will not void your warranty if you listen to me. First you need a mirrored b/w camera with a fisheye 1.7mm-2.5mm for night vision also you need to make sure its powered by a cigarette lighter in the back not wired into so you don't mess with the wiring. You need a DVR they come only two ways 1 channel or 4 channel. You can buy a SD motion activated repeat record module for a single channel for cheap. If you give me a idea of a price in mind I can help you pick what you need I sell a lot of cameras for NYC Cabs. I am not trying to sell you anything I have a lot of business on my own for something simple but I will tell you what to get and where to buy.

Let me know so I will look into it for you I don't want to waste my time giving out part numbers because I don't really like to share unless I feel your ready to do it. I do this for a living for NYPD, Cabs, Cheaters, Surveillance and PIs.

·
Registered
2013 awd plat escalade
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am willing to spend $2,000 if i can get it done for that price. i would like to have a forward facing camera and at the least a rear facing one. idk if i need one on the speedometer since i have on-star(idk if you can get speed records from them). i would like cameras that at the very least record 30 fps and in hd 1080p preferably. also i would like something that doesn't scream hey i'm a camera and i'm recording everything lol. i like the esthetics of my car and the radar detector messes it up enough.

thanks for replying and thanks in advance for the help

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
You wont be able to get a 1080p camera unless you want a full camera that is like the dash cameras police use the most you can get that it wont look out of place and good picture is a 720P. Whenever you go over that you need a regular camcorder size camera. Also you need a tracker that will record the speed GPS logger that will work with it. Traveleyes.com is for the GPS recorder. I am installing a pathfinder thermal eye and I am waiting for my NAVTV module so I can use video while driving. I am also into these cool things. www.spycameras.net ask for Josh tell him your with Stephan spy shops ny he will help you out with the camera and recorder. Also I am going to the ISC west show next month and I will see whats new for what you need.

http://www.traveleyes.com/Tracking-Products/How-TravelEyes2-Works.html

http://www.spycameras.com/shop/cameras/outdoor-camera/super-low-light/

Start searching here and let me know what is good for you than I will help you.

Thermal

http://www.opticsplanet.com/flir-pathfindir-30-hertz-nightvision-thermal-ntsc-camera.html?gclid=CKmT16zHh7YCFUWd4Aod8joApA&ph=&adlens_source=google&ef_id=USxDwwAAAMVv4moj:20130319004809:s

·
Registered
2012 Escalade
511 Posts
So with the DVR constantly recording, can you just unhook and download, or does it download to USB? Can you break apart a recording say if you want a 2 minute slice? I might do this as welll.... with the way people faek car accidents, this might be the way to be prepared.

·
Registered
2013 awd plat escalade
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sdgc that is exactly why i want them. i was in an accident in my little car and the ins is being such an ass. he clearly stated he was in the wrong but they are still fighting me tooth and nail. i don't want to have my esky totaled over something stupid someone else did. i have paid to much to lose what i have over other ppl's stupidity

·
Registered
2011 Escalade EXT, 2012 Escalade ESV Platinum
175 Posts
Guys if i may suggest, you can add a camera like the Itronics ITB-HD100. I have theses installed on my front windshield and hardwired to the front mirror by making a invisicord. Basically it comes on when i start the truck starts and records onto a sd card. The files are in avi format and if you use the bundled software it actually shows your location on a map as well as the speed. You can install it on your back window similarly. Each camera is about 200 bucks and seems to me as a much cheaper alternative that gives you the info you are looking for. Also it does 1080p but i have it set to record at 720p. It blends in and you don't have to worry about it screaming "camera here". I can post a picture if required.

·
Registered
2013 awd plat escalade
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i have found things like this (http://www.brickhousesecurity.com/product/covert+rear+view+mirror+cam+with+recording+dvr.do) i don't need or want to change my rearview mirror so i can't use that one in the link. i've also found some little ones that do record in 1080p with 30 fps and h.264 but they would stick out (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0U00H07450) (http://www.spytechs.com/Car-Cameras/dual-view-cam.htm).

thanks chakde. i will look into that option. would hard wiring something like that so i don't have wires all over void my warranty?

·
Registered
2013 awd plat escalade
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok i want you to know i am the one who asked the question. i am from la and would spend 2k on cameras. by the way my escalade is a brand new 2013 all wheel drive platinum. i got it as soon as they came out. it is paid for and cost over $84,000. i bought it at stewart cadillac in houston. that's right i can afford to go to a different state to buy stuff if i want to. i work hard for our money and so does my husband. no one helps us pay for anything.

just from your attitude you have turned me off to any products or advice you have to offer

stereotyping ppl is not nice

i am a female

i can't believe i would come across such ignorance in a cadillac forum. it is appalling to me.

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,454 Posts
SpyShops NY,

I would encourage you not to attack other people in this forum. They are simply providing suggestions and examples of what has met their needs. I do not enjoy locking threads because it doesn't benefit anyone. If people begin taking shots at each other I'll have no choice but to lock it. Everyone, please try to understand my position. Thank you.

----To the OP, a gentleman named Murphy has added at least one camera on his Escalade, you might try searching his threads. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thanks Mr. H for the intervention. Just for SpyshopsNY information i also bought both my escalades brand new. Like Mr H said i am only trying to give suggestion for something that does the job.

Meahmiller - the camera i was talking about comes originally with a cigarette light adapter, so you can use it by plugging that. I hardwired it to the mirror and as i far i know doing that will not void your warranty. You can have them wire it to your fuse box to be safe, if you go that route. But if you dont mind a wire hanging when you drive you can use the cigerette lighter socket. It mounts on your winsheild with double sided tape. I also bought the platinum and understand that you may not want to cut and splice wires. If you got a professional to install it they can splice the wires without any effect on your warranty. Keep in mind that people install equipment all the time.

Like i said i can provide pictures of the install if interested. You can also youtube the ITB-HD100 for video quality and what the software looks like. There are tons of that both during daytime as well as nightime. The camera keeps recording and if the card gets full it rewrites over the oldest file. Hope this helps.

On another note welcome to the forums and dont let this thread leave a bad taste as this is a great forum with lot of people willing to help you. I know from my experience that people go out of their way to help and for that i am very grateful.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade
511 Posts
Good on you meahmiller. Just because you are willing to spend up to 2K, doesnt meen you have to. I love your post.
CHAKDE - how big of an SD card can it handle? DOes it write names by dates then, as it looks like it doesnt record to one big file?

----------

and yes, can you post a picture of what it looks like installed on your ride. Thanks

·
Registered
escalade
60 Posts
Welcome Meah. Chakde, I like your set up. Can you PM me the details and pic.

BTW, I am living in Louisiana as well. I certainly would not mind peeling potatoes for a living if it fed my family and supported our lifestyle.

Glad to know that there is interest in AWD here in Louisiana. I custom ordered mine because of the options that I wanted and did not want. My last vehicle had to be driven in from Alabama, and it had 450 miles on when it signed the paperwork. I opted to wait 12 weeks and have it as soon as it came to the dealer.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sorry Singh G and sdgc. Got home late today will post the pictures for you tomorrow. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I am sorry I got a little out of hand there. I wish you luck I was out of line there. All I have to say is that whatever you decide to do just don't cut into the wires find away to plug into the rear lighter and run to your location. Also I was not trying to sell you anything I have plenty of business doing much bigger things than messing with small things like this. I am way beyond that. Just to let you know my wife drives a 2010 S63 and my other cars is a 72 Lemans w GTO package since there was no 72 GTO convertible and I also have for the summer time a black 6 series BMW. Out of all my cars I prefer to drive my Escalade since its the most comfortable and practical.

·
Registered
175 Posts
So here are some of the pictures quickly took my phone. I can take some better ones later if required.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3791

sdgc - The camera comes with a 8GB card out of the box. I have used a 16GB that was lying around with no issues not sure the biggest size you can use. It does save the avi in small clips with date and time. So the file name would say XXX_20130320_182524 (where XXX would stand for either Event (evt), Record (rec) and there one for park motion sensor and park shock sensor. I am just going by memory here. You can turn these options on or off using the PC software on the SD card. I wanted to install more on the center but another member had done that and ran into some issues as it was cutting out the light on the sensor at the back of the mirror. I therefore moved it to the lleft (more in front of the driver) and have no issues. I am 6'4" and I do not even notice it there.

I found that recording at 1080P and 24fps was not really required so I have changed that to 720P at 30fps and picture quality is excellent for me. This gives me extra recording time on the provided card.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
No not yet but I will be posting soon springtime is coming soon. I will also take pictures of my platinum leds light on my non platinum truck as well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts