Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be interested in buying a 2000 Deville. I would like to spice up the sound system and put 2 12 inch sub woofers which will be enclosed in a speaker box, that goes in the trunk.

The whole thing will weight about 100-125 pound. How much will the added weight effect the "softness" of the ride. And do you guys think it will bring the back end down.

Thanks.

LM

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
I doubt it'll bring the back-end down any. The car should have an automatic level control system which will keep the car looking straight all-around.. I guess it COULD wear out the system quicker than usual, though. I doubt you'd notice any difference in quality of ride. I'm not 100% positive, though - so someone else may have a better answer...

Are you sure you need a better system in that car? It should come with something pretty nice and loud as it is.. Maybe consider going with one free-air subwoofer. I know Kicker makes some good ones.. Maybe one 12" or 15" instead of two in an enclosed box. This will save you a lot of weight AND space in your trunk. AND you wont need as powerful an amp. I bet it would sound pretty close as well... You don't need to have bass in stereo...

Come to think of it - even one SAS bass tube with the amp inside would do a nice job... Consider that...

S

·
0 Posts
newer devilles are pretty small, i'd say stick with two 10s. what kind of music do you like listening to? if you've got the money, one JL Audio 10 W7 will be perfect... otherwise two 10s or even one 12 will be more than enough i think

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
I'm going the free-air route. Make my trunk the box rather than putting a box in there.

S

·
0 Posts
you'll still need a box of some sort, unless you're just going to have the sub(s) sitting face down on the trunk with two wires coming off them.

and most people use their trunk as boxes to an extent. the bigger the sub, the lower the frequency, the more space it needs for more bass to be heard. if you take a 15" sub and point it directly at you you're going to hear nothing, but put it in a closed room and face it against a wall (with a few feet between it and the wall) and it'll knock you down (well not literally). the box is just to support the subwoofer and house the wires... boxes can also be ported (i'd recommend you do this rather than have no box) allowing air to flow into the box. many subwoofers perform a lot better (in terms of SPL, not SQ) than non-bandpass boxes (non ported). it all depends what sub you've got, how big your trunk is, what kind of sound you're looking for (SPL or SQ, etc.), and how much you're willing to spend on a box ;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses guys.

I listen to old school hip hop and house music. I'm sure the system in the Deville is nice, but I would like to add a little kick to it.

I've got a 92 Camaro and have a box with 2 10's in it and the music sounds very nice. On the Camaro there is no trunk (it's a hatchback), so the sound comes in good.

I was just wondering if I would need to put in 12's because of the fact that the speakers are in an enclosed area (the trunk) as opposed to the back of a Camaro (hatchback).

I'm looking in going to Best Buy to get the stuff, I don't need anything super fancy.

I had an 80 Deville with 4 10's facing the back seat and the trunk was basically the box, and it sounded O so lovely. Car caught on fire and is gone now :(

When I decied to get the speakers, do you guys suggest I point the speakers toward the back seat or toward the rear end.

Thanks

LM

S

·
0 Posts
Well remember although a Camaro is hatchback and so the bass just goes right into the car, getting bigger subwoofers isn't really solving the problem. the bigger the subwoofer, the lower frequency it produces. 15s produce very low frequency, and you can usually hear it best when you're a car length ahead... if you stick with 10s you'll get great response (as opposed to the bigger subs which are geared toward low frequency, low response). you should still easily be able to hear bass in your car if the subs are in the trunk... if you want to get fancy, (i've seen this done before) you can remove the part behind the back seat (part of it) or even just remove the size of a port behind the back seat's arm rest, so you just pull down the armrest and there's a hole to the trunk behind it... also you could consider removing your back panel (below the rear window)... but as i said, you should hear more than enough bass with 10s.

what kind of subs were you planning on going for? let me know cause i might be able to help you out with that

When I decied to get the speakers, do you guys suggest I point the speakers toward the back seat or toward the rear end.
depends what size and type subs you get, what your amp/head unit settings are, what box you have, etc.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You've convinced me to go with 10's. I'm using the head unit in the Cadillac. I've got the original head unit for the Camaro and it's fine. Usually the radios that come stock are pretty good. How diffecult is it to get that back panal out. Are there stock speakers in it??

LM

S

·
0 Posts
depends... on my 80 cadillac and 87 cadillac there's two 6x9s in the rear deck, but don't remove anything yet... put two 10s in the trunk, get a good, professional enclosure, and see if you like the bass... if you think it's not good enough, you can always remove that panel, or other methods, but i think you should have more than enough

S

·
0 Posts
very nice, clean setup you have going there. i like it a lot, very well thought out and very neat.

it depends what cadillac you put them in. in the old broughams you can fit two 15s between the rear deck and the bottom of the trunk (facing back) but on newer cadillacs 10s may be all that can fit :)

If you give us a few measurements, and tell us what you had in mind we can help you with installation, power, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
dpower your system totally rocks

Only thing I would have done different is used some cerwin vega -
vega series dvc 12's (like I have in my 1990 eldorado) They are ridiculous in output and have peak 1.6 inches of excursion and are the cleanest deepest subwoofer you can get for the price (got mine for $65 each brand new in box eson ebay! usually go for around 99$ used to be like $199 when the came out) , they have such a fast response and very high damping rating because the cones are made of kevlar and wood pulp, very light and strong...also they are super accurate and a "drum" sounds like a real drum and digital bass is just crushing with these subs...maybe enlarge your openings and upgrade? other than that your system is unbelievable! Its definitely a winner, must sound awesome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a '94 Deville and I put one JL Audio 15 W0 in it powered by the rear channels of a 4 channel amp, giving the sub a mere 150 watts and it sounds really clean. i have my interiors and subs amplified well for a really nice sound and it didn't cost more than $500. the only problem is the box i designed to get such nice bass with such small power is a 6.0 cubic foot box and takes up quite a bit of space. if you're looking for loud bass, a ported box will be what you'd want. but if you're looking for tighter, not so loud bass, sealed would be better.

·
Registered
34 Posts
if you lived near me i could hook you up. ive been installing professionaly for over 8 years. if space is an issue do a spare tire enclosure. or a small sealed enclosure, right around .75 cu. ft. most decent 10's dont need more than that to get moving. take it from someone hitting 166 db out of 2 15"'s. its all in your enclosure design. if you are good at making them and can afford to use some extra space, go with a ported or vented one. stay away from bandpass. ive had everything from 2 15's and 2 10's, 4 12's and 8 12's and now im at 2 15's in my 88 eldorado. they will all be more than exceptional given the right circumstances. and questions feel free to email. good luck.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts