Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I know this topic is beat to death but I'm having trouble finding a good walkthrough for the installation process of a sub and amp from start to finish. I just aquired an 07 CTS. I'm not interested in using anything fancy, just want something concrete that says - splice these wires here, run them to your amp...

I'm pretty adept at installing audio components, I'm just trying to cut through an hour or more of reading threads to find out where I can find the best signal to cut into and wire an RCA to my amp. Also looking where to find the remote wire. Any links to no bull FAQs would be appreciated! I hate taking apart my car without knowing exactly what I need to look for beforehand!

Thanks,

Anthony

·
Registered
'04 CTS, '79 Coupe DeVille, '78 Sedan De Ville, '77 Firebird
1,020 Posts
splice into the subwoofer wires, run power and ground wires, remote comes from a fuse underneath the driver side rear seat. i believe i used the climate control fuse, not too sure of its location, though. i'm sure someone will chime in with it.

·
Registered
cts?
187 Posts
Personally i would never tap into the factory sub woofer for it, its already getting a lo level signal and your just making it lower, i would tap into the speaker output leads at the factory amp as its getting a hi level out put, also try and tap into the rear speakers as they get 4 0hms as apposed to the fronts that are 2 ohms. Going to the sub woofer would only decrease the signal your getting. Plus i believe the factory amp is in the trunk anyways, you might even be able to find a wire on the amp that will act as a remote wire as it gets power from powering up the deck, it must have an acc wire on it.
I havent dont the install on my own yet, so i cant confirm the acc wire, but i'm in the process, except i'm getting rid of the factory amp all together.

·
Registered
Cadillac
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm probably not going to use a converter, my subs aren't that high performance anyway. Anyone know the actual sound difference between tapping into the sub wires or the rear speaker wires? Is it that noticable?

I was hoping someone had a link to some kind of tutorial on how to do this installation.

·
Registered
cts?
187 Posts
You are using an after market amp, correct? Does your amp have a hi-level input? If so use that to tap into the rear speaker wires, if not at least buy a cheap hi/lo level converter as there only $20. Do the stereo properly or don't do it at all, your just asking for trouble by hacking things in. You drive a cadi, spend the $20.

·
Registered
o4 CTS .. Platinum LUX
147 Posts
sorry but i don't think alot of the audiophiles are gonna come to ur rescue on this one ... only because theres a thread on this exact topic circulating within the first 3 pages on this forum ... if i'm not mistaken u have to tap into the signal from the rear door speakers, but u gotta check the thread i mentioned before for a solid answer ...

·
Registered
Cadillac
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Fosgate amp only has low level RCA inputs. So it looks like I'll be buying a converter.

Now for installation questions: Whats the best way to get my rear speaker wires into the trunk? Do I need to run just one set of the wires or from both speakers? Do I wire the left RCA input from the left speaker and the right RCA from the right then into the converter?

·
Registered
Cadillac
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I'm just going to plug it to the sub wires. Anyone know if I need to splice it before or after the amp? Can I just grab the wires running right into the subwoofer or do I need to get them before the stock amp? What do I need to do to get to these wires?

·
Registered
CTS
343 Posts
Anthony, is your car the base audio,or do you have the BOSE?

If you have BOSE, tap into the wiring at the bOSE amp itself. It is located at the left rear of the trunk. Disconnect the Large connector. (I had to remove the amplifier to get to it properly.)

You will want to splice into four wires. Each channel is grouped together by electrical tape from the factory to make your life easier.
you want:
Pin A2, white, Left Rear Midrange Speaker Output (-)
Pin A3, tan, Left Rear Midrange Speaker Output (+)
Pin A10, tan, Right Rear Midrange Speaker Output (+)
Pin A11, orange, Right Rear Midrange Speaker Output (-)

You will want to get the remote wire from the fuse panel located under the rear seat. wrap the remote wire around the CCP fuse. (climate control fuse.) This will turn your amp on with the ignition.

·
Registered
Cadillac
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I have the BOSE system. So do I splice these wires before the amp or after?

Also, can I get away with a cheap LOC or do I need to splurge for a Cleansweep? I'm confused by all of the threads I read. My subs are not that high-end anyway, and I'm not going to replace the rest of the factory system. I'm just going to add in 2 10's I pulled out of my previous vehicle.

·
Registered
CTS
343 Posts
I used a LOC, that will work fine. :) As for before the amp/after, there are only two connectors on the BOSE amp, one for the power/ground, the other is for all the speaker outputs. There are only four wires for the input on the BOSE amp, and the rest are for outputs. The wires I mentioned in the earlier thread are the OUTPUT from the amp to the rear door speakers which will provide you with the best sound quality. If you were to tap into the INPUT for the BOSE amp, it would be a constant volume as the BOSE amp is responsible for controlling the audio volume. Hope this helps!

(I was just doing this same install last night.)

·
Registered
Cadillac
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more quick question if anyone knows

If you have BOSE, tap into the wiring at the bOSE amp itself. It is located at the left rear of the trunk. Disconnect the Large connector. (I had to remove the amplifier to get to it properly.)
In the left rear of the trunk.. do I removed the paneling and it should be sitting behind there? Flyflip's FAQ on cadillacfaqs.com doesn't have a section on where to grab the wires.. I could explore this myself but I'm sitting at work and want to have enough daylight when i get off to get this done! It'd help me a lot to know exactly where the amp is and what I need to do to access it.

·
Registered
CTS
343 Posts
To get to the amp, remove the four large plastic "nuts" that hold on the black plastic panel on the back of the trunk. Pull it straight up to remove it. After that black panel is removed, remove the last existing plastic "nut" in the middle of the side-carpet. once all the plastic nuts are removed, you can pull the carpet back far enough to get to the BOSE amp. The amp is basically right behind the driver's side tail light. You will need a 10mm wrench to remove it. Small hands help too as it's VERY cramped back there because of the wheel well. If you have a sunroof, make sure the drain doesn't come unfastened when you're putting everything back together. The hose that goes into the wheel well by the BOSE amp is a sunroof drain.

·
Registered
'04 CTS, '79 Coupe DeVille, '78 Sedan De Ville, '77 Firebird
1,020 Posts
DO NOT tap into the bose amp, take the wires from the sub and hook them into a converter (you can even leave the sub hooked up and just tap into the wires. DO NOT tap into the rear speakers either. if youre only hookin up a sub then use the sub wires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts