Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Master Tech and i have a clone Tech 2

I have a 2008 STS AWD 3.6 that i am trying to add ACC.I saw a 2006 AWD V8 4.6 at the yard with HUD and ACC,so i removed all the parts i though i need.Including IPM, RIM , grille ACC plastic emblem.I was able to add HUD without any issues,the ACC is the one giving me hard time.

There are NO CODES and i can see DSCC data on the Tech 2 and when i activate cruise control i can see the "car" picture on the HUD when a car is in front and once in a while i get the red collision warning if i get too close to the car in front but the damm thing only reads "RADAR CRUISE NOT READY".

I activated HUD/UV6 and ACC on IPM,i cut a hole on the 08 grille and installed the black plastic ACC emblem.Today i installed the 06 V8 donor car IPM and RIM and set the options HUD/UV6 and ACC k59 but no luck, all i get is "RADAR CRUISE NOT READY" Any help or comments will be helpful ,Thanks

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
The steering wheel control won't affect whether it (basically) works or not, it just prevents the unit from being adjusted from whatever settings it's already using.

There is a special alignment tool and procedure that must be used in order to ensure the system is set-up correctly. Until the system is otherwise working, you likely can't complete this step (there is a procedure to run using the Tech2 once the physical alignment is done). In any event, I don't expect this will cause the error that you're getting. The message you have is, unfortunately, one that suggests the radar module may be defective. Members have complained about this in vehicles where ACC was factory installed.

The other (real) possibility is that the part number for the 2008 STS with DSCC (Distance Sensing Cruise Control) is 25836974 and shows to fit only the 2008-10 STS Base and Lux models. It's entirely possible that the module you have has software incompatible with the 2008 (or it could be as simple as different mounting or other minor changes), I'm not really sure. Since there are numerous modules involved in this system working properly, swapping the RIM and IPM won't be sufficient (see last paragraph). Other modules that likely need a specific calibration installed for DSCC are the ECM, EBCM, TCM and perhaps others. There are enough variables with DSCC that I've never encouraged people to try to add this option. Since it has the ability to drive you into other objects (unpredictably) should there be some piece of software, somewhere in some module, that is necessary for correct operation, I don't feel it's a viable addition. Without talking to GM's Engineering group, I don't know if there's a reliable way to ensure every base has been covered when adding this after the fact.

Replacing the modules was probably a bad idea (although I understand the thought behind it) since there were definitely software changes between 2005-07 and 2008+. I would reinstall the original modules and just make sure the appropriate options are turned on in the IPM. Aside from what I've already noted, all I can really suggest is that you try to obtain the DSCC module intended for your model year.

Edit: Add note about post alignment procedure.

·
Registered
108 Posts
From the manual:
CRUISE NOT READY

The DSCC module commands the display of the CRUISE NOT READY message in the DIC when ACC cannot engage due to a temporary condition. The ACC vehicle conditions that prompt the display of the CRUISE NOT READY message are temporary and do not require service. If no target is identified by the radar at the time of vehicle ignition, the CRUISE NOT READY message will be displayed in the DIC until the radar is able to identify a target. CRUISE NOT READY message is also displayed in the DIC when the DSCC transceiver is too hot and the brakes are too hot. The DIC sounds an internal chime anytime it displays the CRUISE NOT READY message.

I wonder if the hole in the grill is large enough, or maybe the chrome wreath is interfering. the 2006 has no chrome in the area, Maybe try it without the grill in.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
While the owner's manual may suggest this is a "temporary" condition that does not require service, there are members here on the forum who have experienced this error that would disagree.

The service manual indicates this message will be displayed when:

The vehicle is in "RUN" and the vehicle speed is >40.2km/h (25MPG) AND:

The B+ voltage circuit is <9.2V for 7 seconds, OR >16V for 7 seconds. DTC C0800 Symptom 03 and C0800 Symptom 07 respectively.

These are conditions that will require service. The fact there are no codes "suggests" a different problem, but this again makes me think back to members that have had the DSCC module fail. Regardless, it's just another incident of the people that wrote the owner's manual not having complete information from the engineers.

Trying the system without the grille in place is certainly an option. My bet is that the OP didn't wait until everything was back together before checking operation for the first time.

marcospedraza, the picture you posted of the grille looks exactly like mine in respect of detail, sizing and placement/positioning in relation to the Cadillac emblem. If this is a "grille" obstruction, I would expect the problem to be different positioning on the rad support and/or mounting bracket of the 2005-07 DSCC module.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not to argue, but that was a quote from the service manual, Cruise Control Description and Operation (Adaptive Cruise Control)

Can we see a pic of your grille? Im curious as to whether it has the chrome wreath. I would think a metallic object in close proximity to the front of the radar is a no no.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Mine, too, has the chromed plastic wreath around the Cadillac emblem.

I'm not sure what else to say. I know the DIC messages are sporadic at times. I've driven through weather conditions and ended up with 1/4" - 1/2" of ice build-up on the front of my car and my DSCC hasn't missed a beat. Yet, on one occasion, my car was spotless and I received a message that the radar was dirty and that I needed to clean it. I don't put a lot of faith in these messages being all that accurate for troubleshooting. As I mentioned, others on the forum have experienced complete (permanent) DSCC system failures for these alleged temporary conditions that GM claims does not require service. I wrote software for a lot of years and this sounds like the old saying "There's always one more bug"!

·
Registered
108 Posts
"There's always one more bug"

That's for sure!
I always lose ACC when I drive over a local dam that's near an airport radar site. Have to stop and restart the car to clear the error.

Thanks for the pic. Looks like his pretty much matches yours.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
First, i want to thank you for your help,and i promise to post any updates about this project for the benefit of those in the future.
ddadler ,that's a nice Caddy you have there.
First thing i did after i installed everything and saw the "RADAR CRUISE NOT READY" was to remove the grille and drive the car without it....no difference
then i removed the crest and wreath and drove without it ...no difference
then i cut the hole and installed the ACC plastic black emblem without the wreath .... no difference
Then i installed the wreath around the ACC plastic emblem ...no difference

My emblem is a little different from ddadler's since it's from a 2006 and i had to heat up my 08 wreath and expand the width to make it fit around the 06 ACC emblem.But like i mention before ,i drove the car without the grille ,without the wreath and i get the same message.
I totally agree with ddadler on "The other (real) possibility is that the part number for the 2008 STS with DSCC (Distance Sensing Cruise Control) is 25836974 and shows to fit only the 2008-10 STS Base and Lux models. It's entirely possible that the module you have has software incompatible with the 2008 (or it could be as simple as different mounting or other minor changes) " since the DSCC i pulled fron donor is a 06 and PN 15226799 seems too "old" for an 08.
I already ordered a used one "in good working condition" from ebay for $130 2008-2010 Cadillac STS PN 25836974 and i can return it if doesn't fix my error message i don't loose much to try it.
I will keep post updates as soon as the part arrives and i install it.
here are the pictures of my factory 2008 Grille with the 06 ACC emblem and the 2008 wreath after the modifications :

IMG_20190613_141058 [1024x768].jpg
Screenshot_Gallery_20190613-145149 [1024x768].png

This is the emblem i used is for a 2006
2005 ACC Emblem [640x480].JPG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts