Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS White Diamond base, 1992 Brougham White/White 5.7
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the logistics of adding an Antilock Braking System to a 1987 Brougham? Would it be super safe (As safe as OEM)? I might be able to take the ABS system of a 1990.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
'93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's
4,382 Posts
I would think this would be quite tricky and involve basically having to swap almost a LOT of mechanical bits from the newer car, not to mention any electrical incompatabilites.

·
Registered
Too many...
878 Posts
Ewww why would you want ABS?? I like to have full control of my car. Mastering the art of pumping brakes = Awesome!

It definitley would not be worth the effort!

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
It would be a fair amount of work, but not impossible.

Depends on if you want 4 channel or 3 channel. 4 channel is significantly harder. And neither are easy.

Find a donor vehicle(s) in a boneyard. Prefer a 92-96 B/D Body (not 94-96 D), Get ABS Controller and motor (if not part of controller), probably master cyl, often they are different, as they have to supply fluid to the controller/motor resovoir, the whole rear axle (for rear speed sensor), front spindles/rotors for front sensors (are spindles needed or can they be modified for sensors?), wiring for them, wiring for dash ABS light, ABS controller will likely need vehicle speed input from ECM (hopefully it is compatible with ABS controller you have)

Easy? Well, not really.... But by the time you are done, it would probably be cheaper to get 92 that has it....

For 4 channel, you have to run a new brake line to the rear so it has 2.

I will dig up in my books and see what else might be needed if you are still interested.

Personally, I would look at getting an adjustable brake bias control. NASCAR has some brake line delay to the rear that helps, not quite ABS, but said to significantly reduce lockups

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Aye carumba!!! I'll forget it. Pump brakes I will, but it seems like a 92 is in my future after all. The 87 I looked at was once again misrepresented. Why don't people just come clean with their cars?

Thanks for the info everyone. It's not something I would tackle then.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
N0DIH said:
I will dig up in my books and see what else might be needed if you are still interested.

Thanks, but it's OK. The answer is clear. A 92 is the way to go. I do prefer ABS over pumping. It feels cool to me. Specially when there's just a little slip and you feel it correcting. Takes the guess work out of it and I don't have any cars I'd be willing to practice pumping with. THen again, maybe in a mall parking lot after a snowy day. =o)

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
That NASCAR thingy was just installed in the rear lines only, so when you punched the brakes, the rears didn't lockup right away. The combo brake valve is supposed to do that.

Adjustable brake biasing is likely more effective, but each terrain needs to be adjusted. The factory valving is a comprimise for all.

it is called an Adjustable Proportioning Valve. I think Summit and Jegs have them.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
ABS was brought into being to allow anybody to generate a decent stop in virtually any traction condition. It takes the brain work out of the equation. Just mash the pedal and let the computer take over. It does NOT guarantee the BEST stopping distance though. A good driver can beat the distances generated by ABS, I know I can, especially on the older systems like the ones we're discussing here.
IMO, ABS's greatest (maybe only) value is in a "panic" situation, other than that, I'd just as soon not have it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Katshot said:
IMO, ABS's greatest (maybe only) value is in a "panic" situation, other than that, I'd just as soon not have it.
I've always enjoyed ABS. I like the way it feels. Even if its only value is in a panic situation, it's in that situation that I would most value it. Like my dad says, if it saves your life once, it's worth it. =o)

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
If the ABS is working right and you know how to drive properly it should hardly ever come on. I've only ever felt it come on maye 3 or 4 times in my Cadillac and usually it's when you drive over a bump while you're slowing down or if you're stopping suddenly and the road is wet or when you're stopping and going onto a paved road from a gravel one. Its not worth it to put ABS in a car that doesn't have it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
brougham said:
If the ABS is working right and you know how to drive properly it should hardly ever come on. I've only ever felt it come on maye 3 or 4 times in my Cadillac and usually it's when you drive over a bump while you're slowing down or if you're stopping suddenly and the road is wet or when you're stopping and going onto a paved road from a gravel one. Its not worth it to put ABS in a car that doesn't have it.
It sometimes comes on in winter for me. It usually kicks in just at the very end of a slow stop in snow when I depress the brake harder to totally stop. I've never felt it engage when there isn't snow on the ground except when I've slammed on the brakes in wet weather to avoid an idiot who doesn't know how to drive. I usually stay clear of idiots, but you can't keep clear of all of them. :D

D

·
0 Posts
I have yet to feel the ABS in my 91 FWB, maybe I'll test it on the next rainy day!:cool2:

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Destroyer said:
I have yet to feel the ABS in my 91 FWB, maybe I'll test it on the next rainy day!:cool2:
I want to drive on a frozen lake. :D

·
Registered
Too many...
878 Posts
Destroyer said:
I was about to praise you for being a snow driver extraordinaire but then i saw you lived in Florida!

Yeah i get spinnin' like a top on a snowy parking lot with my posi rear... then i come close to immovable objects and slam the brakes *buh buh buh buh buh buh* goes my foot... Or i haul ass and try and predict my stopping distance in the snow and the ABS once again takes the fun out of things and safely coddles my car to a reasonable stop... these are the times that i especially wanna do an ABS delete!!! :sneaky:

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Mine kick in (as does TC) over bumps often, as Illinois has some of the worst roads for buckling, it is a "norm" here.

I agree with Katshot, it takes the guesswork out, brainless stab and slow down. The only time I wish I had it over not is on glare ice. The 4 channel ABS is far superior to the 3 channel, as all wheels are at the highest braking force most of the time in a panic. I love to try to put it into a slide and jam on the brakes. Try to get it to goof up. It does pretty good.

Overall in the crap roads we have here, I prefer to have than not, but with my Suburban with it but broke, I don't miss it too terribly either. Maybe the big tires dig well enough. The T/A never had, and was decent without and allowed for me to pulse the brakes fast enough to make effective braking on ice and snow.

Sometimes I just like to lock them up coming to a stop in the snow.... Sorta fun on the back country farm roads!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts