Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Deville DTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2004 Deville DTS (engine code 9) is running fine but I think there may be a problem looming. Last year I tried to change the antifreeze by removing the lower radiator hose. Approximately 1 gallon drained from the 3.25 gallon cooling system. Did not see a practical way of flushing the old antifreeze out so I just added 1 gallon of 50/50 GREEN antifreeze. I recently read that mixing Dex Cool and green antifreeze with cause it to gel. I have a few question that I hope someone can answer:
1. Best way to flush cooling system
2. Should cleaning additive to use? If so what brand
3. Would installing Prestone Flush N Fill make this job easier
4. Would installing a Moroso radiator hose filler help.
5. What is the ID of the upper radiator hose

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
the correct way is to drain fluid as much as possible, then fill with water, then run for a bit to mix the water in, then drain again, then add more water, then run again, then drain again, etc - until you've basically got only water coming out... then add in your green fluid...

well i'm not sure if that's the correct way, but that's how I would do it...

·
Registered
2004 Deville DTS
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chris, Thanks for taking the time to respond to my problem. I wanted to avoid the procedure you described, too time consuming. Many years ago on a different car I installed a Flush N Fill tee which worked out very well. Do you think this tee fitting, installed before the heater core will speed up the flushing of my contaminated antifreeze?

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
i've never heard of that before... but i guess it's worth a try...

maybe start another thread simply asking what's the best procedure for changing from dex to green

you might get better response with just that simple question

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
No one bothered to point out that this is a 2006-2012 DTS forum. It is not intended for questions related to earlier models (2004 in this case).

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
One more point...
Once you have put green in it... you have contaminated the entire cooling system.
you might as well keep using green and go to a 2 year change interval... instead of what the book says for Dexcool...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts