Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one ever do their own "free air sub" installation on a caddy? I have a 96 with no existing hole in the rear deck. I went to the local shop and they want 667 dollars to install a single jl audio 10" free air sub (requires no box), eclipse 50x2 amp, sound deadner for the rear deck, supplies, etc. Seems like a lot, but would sound better than subs in a closed in trunk. Anyone ever attempted an installation like this ? How'd it go? Thanks for any info, anyone.

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
If I get a 73-76 deville it will have enough space to mount my 2 mtx 10s in the back deck, but mine will retain the box they're in. Does the $667 include the sub, amp, and everything? Are you planning on running the sub off a 50w x 2 amp or is the amp for the rest of the system? If you're planning on running 100w... well I'm running 400w as it is and I'd say I get about the perfect amount of clean bass so 100w might be on the small side.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That cost is for everything, labor and all parts. The sub will be bridged to give 100 watts to the 10" sub, the rest of stereo is the Bose that is already in there, so I don't want to over power the rest of the system, what do you think? thanks jim

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
The price seems a bit high, but hey audio shops have to make their money. I'd think about running at a bit higher power level if I were you, it's better to have the capability to have more bass than to be stuck if you want more.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I personally never had a problem with the bass from subs in the trunk. Have a pair of old 12's in my trunk, and they provide the deep hit, rest of my system does what I need. I actually have one of the best SQ systems, with solid power in my group of friends. Right about 1000 in audio total. ($400 head unit, for MP3 capability) Head unit, Rockford Fosgate Punch HPC 6x9's stock door speakers, 250 W amp, hooked to a pair of Boss 250 W 12" subs in trunk. 8 CD changer. That's all. And it's the best in the group, and beats my mother's 740 iL BMW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
ShadowLvr400