Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I got myself a Cadillac 2014 CTS in an auction. The damage was on the passenger side and only the doors. We fixed it up and after a while, this beauty of a car started blowing hot — and I mean oven/ hell-on-earth scorching hot — air on a whim. Typically, the car’s a/c would be around 80 degrees on a good (105 degree TX) day. But the other day, hot air blew again from the back and driver’s side only… I had had this happen to me and the band around the compressor had been stuck and the friction created lots of smoke. We had to replace the compressor and radiator twice. I took the car to four different mechanics and they couldn’t seem to fix it. One sort of did get it to cool for a bit, until you lowered or highered the air. But now it seems to be blowing hot air on a whim again. I called up my father who is typically good with cars, because I really don’t trust the mechanics anymore, and he tore the car up to realize that it’s MAYBE the a/c’s actuators. But really we are just guessing at this. Has anyone ever run into anything similar with the a/c? If so, how did you fix it?

·
Registered
2015 CTS Performance
128 Posts
There is so much information buried in your story it’s hard to know where to start. An AC mechanic should be able to say if the system is working by measuring the high and low side pressures. If the basic system is okay then maybe it’s the air control doors. It’s taking air from the heater core rather than the evaporator. You said hot is only in some vents which is a good clue.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS-4 Performance
191 Posts
If you look around, there is some information about known issues with the AC systems in these cars. If I remember correctly it points to the climate control itself not necessarily doing what it is supposed to.

From what I remember it sounds like this systems does not have "safetys" that most normal AC systems have and is fully integrated to allow the computer to select all aspects instead of things being "modular" and self-activating (such as the fan coming on automatically on the radiator when the AC is activated, or the blend doors switching to where it needs to based on mode).

I would say, get the factory service manual. In your case, BUY it, the ones yoiu download are kinda hodge-podge, but might suffice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts