Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
@Too Fast I've thought about it, but seeing as it is AWD I reckon there may be some conflict. Thoughts?
I would have to at least change the gears in front as well, and that is entirely uncharted territory for me, I have never investigated to determine the feasibility of that in an AWD

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,047 Posts
Right. 3.23 was as steep as it got for AWD cars. RWD got up to 3.42 and the CTS-V had 3.73 which may be compatible but that doesn't help with the front diff. It may be possible to buy gears for these Getrag diffs but I doubt that is worth the hassle. Unless it is bolt-in, I probably wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yeah the rear is the same as the V and whatnot, but it would probably involve a good amount of homework before I could get into the front at all.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Looking at swapping my wheels to the König Hypergram. They come in at about 18 pounds for the 18×8.5 with a 35mm offset. I believe the factory alloy wheels come in at about 25 pounds. Losing ~7 pounds from each wheel should make quite the difference.
Thoughts will be especially appreciated from anyone who has upgraded to that much lighter of a wheel, doesn't necessarily have to be on an STS to be just as relevant.

·
Registered
2008 STS Northstar RWD, 2000 Trans Am WS6 6 spd, 1968 LeMans convertible 6.6
153 Posts
I have no experience with lighter wheels. I have always wanted to feel the difference, tho, so if you do it keep us posted. Anything you can do to reduce unsprung weight is always a bonus for handling, and less rotational mass should equate to slight acceleration improvements, but maybe not measurable on our ~4100 lb cars.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 4.6L
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I think handling would easily be the biggest benefit, but acceleration should see some improvement. I've read a good number of posts on various forums about the difference noticeably lighter wheels can make on anything from Miata's to Ford and Chevy trucks. Some people only seem to care about power, but I consider handling at least equally important if not even moreso. Suspension, wheel and tire upgrades/modifications should be a considered a big part of "performance upgrades" and I will include in this thread anything I do which I consider to be an improvement (likely as an edit near the beginning of the thread, ideally).

41 - 46 of 46 Posts