Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i just got back from the gas station. The computer thinggy said that i used 13.2 gallons that time... but the pump said i needed 14.1. How accurate is that thing?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
The gas pump at your station is calibrated and checked by the state in which it is located.
The computer "thingy" in your car is usually fairly accurate but that's it. I would never believe it to be dead-on-the-money.
It's like your gauges, they're only for general guidance. If you want gnats-ass accuracy, you need professional mechanical gauges, proper wiring, and properly installed senders.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Take in mind that there could be about a gallon of fuel in all the lines. The computer figures it out by how much fuel the injectors have used, not fuel taken from the tank. So that would be where your extra gallon could have gone.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
you got it

·
Banned
1993 Triple Black Allante
701 Posts
I always fill to the automatic cut-off and then fill to the top of the filler neck. i usually get about another gallon in it. If you do this too, it might be your solution.

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Filling up to the filler neck is not a good idea. There are vents in there that can get plugged up, and cause the tank to collapse

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
In cold weather, you should NOT top-off the tank. The fuel is cold in your tank and you're adding fuel that is approx. 60 some degrees. Then as you drive the car, the fuel is recirculated AND WARMED. All this adds up to mucho thermal expansion. Don't be surprised if the fuel just starts peeing out the filler neck while running (I've seen it happen).

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
Not good for the paint.....

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
The other thing that comes to mind here is...When you fuel you don't always get the same amount in the tank unless you fill to the cut off and then top off. Pump rates vary and that will affect the cut off point if it pumps faster it'll cut off slightly sooner. I've found mine to be fairly accurate but it's more of a toy than something to be taken dead serious just like your instant/ average fuel economy. These things are usually fairly accurate but they're subject to a few outside variables.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Also miles to empty is just a referance! My dads gone down to 18 miles to empy in his V10 superduty. Drove it into the grage then didn't start the next morning :D

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
They arent perfect, but not bad.

A friend of my parents had an aurora, and it said 20 miles to empty, and it ran out of gas on the freeway!!! Once it gets below 50, its time to fill up.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
what worse is when your gas guage is not accurate at all like in my truck. and you run out of gas on your way to the gas station but you think it is something much worse. DOH!

·
Registered
7,658 Posts
stupid guage, stupid technology, stupid everything!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
My jeep goes all day and then some untill it gets to 1/4 tank then poof it gone

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
That's not uncommon among OEM gauges. The OEM has this thing about making gauges read what they want them to. Matter of fact, many OEM gauges are electronically damped. In other words, they make them read certain ways regardless of what the TRUE reading should be. Just because it makes the customer happier and less likely to take it in for repair.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yeah, Lots of happy customers....Walking for gas!

Makes sense to me!

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
KC,
You remember when the GPz900 came out? Maybe Jeff does. Anyway, not long after the bike came out, a lot of customers complained about the bike running hot. The bike came with a wimpy little temp gauge and it usually read toward the top of the gauge. Kawasaki issued a service bulletin on the issue and when we got the repair kit in, you know what it was? How 'bout a resistor that we were supposed to solder in-line with the gauge to make it read a little lower!
Another case in point, several OEMs electronically dampen their gauges in order to have them read in a more confidence-inspiring area of the gauge. It's true dude, I s%#t you not.
That's why I ALWAYS tell people to take what their OEM gauges say with a grain of salt.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts