Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every now and then my fuel gauge needle will go to empty---a tap on the dash in front of the gauge always gets it to read right again.
How can I access the gauge connections to see if they are secure?
Thanks

·
Registered
1979 Coupe deVille, 1995 Sedan DeVille (sold)
1,846 Posts
I haven't done it myself, but I suspect you have to remove the dash top to get to it.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,737 Posts
Yes, you remove the top dash cover. Screws are on either side of the pad once you open the doors. One above the speedo cluster. One in the glove box and 2 I believe behind the center A/c vents. I use a dull butter knife to get the center vents out. Slide it in on either side of the vent and gently pry the vent inwards to release the pins from the hole in the vent. Also check the defroster vents for screws. You pull up and towards you to release it.

·
Registered
1983 FWB (Mac), 1981 SDV (Junkyard Dog)
734 Posts
Be very careful. This is a delicate operation. The dash top can be fractured very easily on an attempted removal. I learned the hard way but in those days used dash tops were plentiful. Once all the fasteners are out, the correct move is to gently raise the top panel and then carefully pull it towards you. There are two flat hooks which hold the panel down and you must pull it clear of them before you try to lift it clear.

Cheers.......R.

·
Registered
1990 Brougham, 1990 Brougham d'elgance 1979 Coupe
1,196 Posts
Ive owned many 78-89 models with the same gas gauge, and every single one acted crazy, even the 87 that I bought new.

I don't think it can be fixed without some modification of some sort.

·
Registered
1995 SEDAN DEVILLE-4.9 & 1978 SEDAN DEVILLE-425
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be very careful. This is a delicate operation. The dash top can be fractured very easily on an attempted removal. I learned the hard way but in those days used dash tops were plentiful. Once all the fasteners are out, the correct move is to gently raise the top panel and then carefully pull it towards you. There are two flat hooks which hold the panel down and you must pull it clear of them before you try to lift it clear.

Cheers.......R.
If I dig in to it,I`ll be careful for sure.
Been looking online for a better looking replacement dash top since mine has a crack in it but none to be found.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts