Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'94 Eldorado
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost hate to enquire about this because a few years ago I had similar symptoms that resulted in my having to replace the main computer and was NOT cheap!

In the last week or so, during normal operation of my '94 ETC, weather it be accelerating from a stop or just driving at a steady pace, the rpm's will all of a sudden drop drastically, almost feeling like it is "cutting out" and dropping rpm's close to 0. After letting off the accellerator peddle it either dies completely or recovers. So you know, I recently (2+ months ago) replaced the fuel pump and inline filter (beneath driver's side door), so I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with that.

Any ideas? Is the main computer taking a dump AGAIN? I do live in perhaps the hottest city in the country (Lake Havasu, AZ) and a local Chevy shop (no Caddie shops here), as well as a talking head at Cadillac, told me that extreme heat can affect computer components. I was shocked to hear that, to say the least.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,976 Posts
Heat can cause them to fail. That is why the PCM was moved to under the air filter box, so that they can be cooled by intake air. Sounds like a possibility if your symptoms are the same. Have you checked the codes?

·
Registered
99 STS
269 Posts
I do live in perhaps the hottest city in the country (Lake Havasu, AZ) and a local Chevy shop (no Caddie shops here)
I sold cars in Kingman for a couple years, if you really wanna know whats going on, head down to Anderson Toyota in Kingman, and set a service appointment with Todd Sietz, make sure you tell him the only tech you want to look at it is Cody Bush. Absolutely hands down the best, and most professional tech i have ever met.

Adam

·
Registered
'94 Eldorado
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Heat can cause them to fail. That is why the PCM was moved to under the air filter box, so that they can be cooled by intake air. Sounds like a possibility if your symptoms are the same. Have you checked the codes?
Where is the PCM on my '94? I'm inclined to move it myself if it's easily accessable. By the way...this occured to me after this began happening again: the PCM is, for all intents and purposes, a computer. Home and pro computers have protection circuits that shut down the computer to help it avoid damage from many things, including overheating. My Eldo has run just fine since the first re-occurance happened. I have only had it out when it wasn't in the 100-teens and at night. Am I correct in assuming that once the PCM cooled off, it ran properly and will only run irratically (or stop completely) if it overheats again? If this is the case, am I also correct in assuming that a few years ago, when I payed for a new PCM, the one I replaced just needed to cool off, rather than paying for a new one?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,976 Posts
I am not sure when it was moved to under the air filter. If it is not there, then it is under the dash. Passenger side I think. I wouldn't know what to say on the rest of your questions. Maybe one of the techs will chime in.

·
Registered
2000 Eldorado ESC
1,362 Posts
It's behind the glove box. Remove that & the under dash panel.
There's one 7mm screw on the right side holding it in.
They moved the PCM to the airbox in 96 (OBD II)

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,104 Posts
Slightly off-thread and later model, but FWIW I decided to change the air filter in my '02 yesterday just after a half-hour drive. Opened up the air box and went to lift the PCM out of the way. The darn thing was so hot it nearly burned my fingers. Anyone know how hot "normal" is for a PCM?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts