Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im having a problem it started ok and i had thought it was the ignition wires maybe i didnt put them correctly on(i changed the cap and rotor) but after someone on here helping me they are on correctly so the next thing i can think of is i changed 4 spark plugs only(the side next to the radiator) cause i cant reach from under the car (with jacks even...hey im a big guy lol) so i didnt change those... would this cause my problem...

my problem is at idle it sounds ok..smooth,low idle..i press the gas and it sounds like a nascar and accelerates more then wha i feel it shound..i just tap the gas and it pops off like if im racing somewere and sounds it also.

idle problem?...no right it sounds good at idle
timing?....could it be?
spark plugs do this?.....i dont know lol

1990 deville 4.5 engine

·
Registered
97 deville
562 Posts
i had a similar experience in my 1990 deville, god rest her soul. it nearly killed me too!

my throttle linkage was being fussy, and not springing back shut. id look into it. it would be a cheap enough fix, a couple shots of WD40 and youre good to go.

i forget exactly where it was, i believe right in the middle in front of the engine. idk, just have somebody else push your pedal to the floor a couple times (engine off obviously) and im sure youll see the linkage moving back and forth. theres a spring there, and a little lever that pulls it open...the spring may be a little rusty, thus keeping the throttle open. you can see why this might be a problem...lol

good luck! be safe!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol now that u meantion it, i already have the air intake off and before i started it (it has ben sitting for more then a couple months without being turned on) the throttle was really hard wen i was doing it by hand den i poured a lil gas in there and it turned on(it didnt want to turn on before this just kept turning) so ill put some wd40 and see wha happens lol thanks man

1 - 3 of 3 Posts