Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS-4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here had their Adaptive Cruise Control repaired/serviced?

I've got an '05 STS-4 and I'm wondering what to expect if I opt to have this repaired. It's giving me the "clean radar" warning. Only likes to work about once every 50 trips.

Weird thing is, when it works (rarely), it's always around the same time of day.

Thanks in advance!

----------

...and what I mean by "what to expect" is procedure, cost or anything else someone may have dealt with personally. Thank you!

·
Registered
05 STS4
4,241 Posts
Clean the radar head and lens if it's still acting up you need the unit which is $1600 I believe plus alignment and install.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,009 Posts
Autzone has a basic code reader that only reads generic powerplant codes. You need to find somebody with a real code reader like a TECH 2 if you want body, ABS, HVAC and all the rest that are available with a real code reader.

·
Registered
08 STS4 V8 1SG & 04 SRX4 V8 & 01 Monte SS
5,012 Posts
I'd start with properly cleaning the radar dome (the actual unit behind the grille and the cover in the grille).
If that doesn't resolve it you could visit a dealer to see if they can pull any codes from the module.

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,215 Posts
The few occasions I've had the "Clean Radar" message is when I started on a trip with a clean dome but picked up slush or ice during the same ignition cycle. I've found that if I start the car and there is already snow/slush on the dome it senses the car ahead just fine and doesn't generate a warning. This leads me to believe that while it may be sensitive, there is a lot of leeway so as not to require a squeaky clean radar dome.

Unfortunately there is not a lot to this system (component wise). It is simply the radar unit (includes controller/processor) behind the grille which communicates over the GMLAN bus. Everything outside of this single module is all software. This most frequently means replacing the unit. There is a special alignment tool required so it's not really anything you can do yourself with precision. Some people have done a ballpark alignment and claimed success.

·
Registered
562 Posts
When I pulled my front fascia off I discovered that the inside of my dome was really filthy and gave it a good cleaning. The only time I ever got a "clean radar" warning was in wet snow and ice storms and my dome would be partially or completely covered. One quick wipe and the warning would go away.

View attachment 297313
This is where I cleaned

View attachment 297321
Another view

View attachment 297329
The unit
My project here was to replace the AC condenser and pusher fans.

·
Registered
2005 STS-4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all so much! I'll give cleaning it thoroughly another shot, but I'm afraid it's always pretty clear (no excess grime build-up, snow or ice). We'll see!

·
Registered
'11 CTS-V Coupe M6, '05 1SG STS4 V8
377 Posts
I only cleaned the inside because I was working on another project... but it was plenty dirty.
Oh sorry, mistook your post for being a post of the OP.

OP may want to try cleaning the inside of the dome before replacing anything.

·
Registered
2005 STS-4
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like the backside of the emblem? As the emblem front and radar "dome" front are plenty clean. Still no dice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts