Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2008 DTS that the AC has stopped working. When looking things over I noticed that the AC clutch was not engaging. Checked and found the AC mini fuse was blown, replaced the fuse and it immediately tripped again. Did a search of the exposed wiring and did not see any issues. I then did the "Old School" trick of replacing the mini fuse with a paper clip:
The AC clutch engaged and the system started to cool down, I then put the gauges and found my Freon levels were within the required levels. However when doing this the "Stabilatrak" code tripped, I removed the paperclip and reset the computer the situation with the AC went back as previously stated.
I even tried putting a stronger fuse in, the AC would not engage and it did not trip any codes, it also did not blow the fuse. I have moved the relays around, I have run out of ideas. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2006 XLR-V, 2011 DTS Premium
13 Posts
If I could chime in on this...
Respectfully, that old school approach has shorted out sensitive equipment ($$$) or burned down many cars and houses by that method, so I would instill in everyone never to attempt that.

OK.....onto the car. Remove the paperclip and put an anmeter in series instead of the clip. This will measure the exact current draw of that circuit. With that information, you could determine if it is a short or slightly elevated draw. Note the amps.

Not sure what the fused circuit is or the current rating, take a look on the back of the fuse box cover. I am not totally familar with the A/C device but I'm sure you could search online for a line diagram to assist to view what is on that fuse. Seems like it may be just above the normal operating current and not total failure since it worked for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I could chime in on this...
Respectfully, that old school approach has shorted out sensitive equipment ($$$) or burned down many cars and houses by that method, so I would instill in everyone never to attempt that.

OK.....onto the car. Remove the paperclip and put an anmeter in series instead of the clip. This will measure the exact current draw of that circuit. With that information, you could determine if it is a short or slightly elevated draw. Note the amps.

Not sure what the fused circuit is or the current rating, take a look on the back of the fuse box cover. I am not totally familar with the A/C device but I'm sure you could search online for a line diagram to assist to view what is on that fuse. Seems like it may be just above the normal operating current and not total failure since it worked for you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts