Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Deville
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I had a new compressor installed. It worked great for 3 days. Now I get codes F46 F47 F48. the system is full. I tried to add an 1oz just to make sure it wasn't undercharged it would not suck it in. The compressor clutch will not come on. Any ideas or suggestions. Thanks.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,002 Posts
Hi I had a new compressor installed. It worked great for 3 days. Now I get codes F46 F47 F48. the system is full. I tried to add an 1oz just to make sure it wasn't undercharged it would not suck it in. The compressor clutch will not come on. Any ideas or suggestions. Thanks.
======================
codes are meaningless without their DEFINITIONS -
and no one remembers OBD1 codes -

-----------------------

the system is full
how do you know that?

what are the pressure readings for BOTH the high side and low side?

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Deville
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well not sure if the compressor doesn't kick on. But I did try to add refrigerant like I said it didn't suck anything in. So to me it is either electrical or the ac clutch or I have a bad low pressure switch. I am going to try and run a wire from the battery to the compressor clutch switch and see if it kicks on. But you are right I have no way to tell if it is full until I get the electrical problem worked out first. F46 and f47 means low refrigerant f48 means refrigerant system problem. But f46 and f47 doesn't help me if the system won't suck the refrigerant in.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,313 Posts
Keep in mind that when low refrigerant is detected, the PCM will disable the compressor to prevent damage.

·
20,002 Posts
Well not sure if the compressor doesn't kick on. But I did try to add refrigerant like I said it didn't suck anything in. So to me it is either electrical or the ac clutch or I have a bad low pressure switch. I am going to try and run a wire from the battery to the compressor clutch switch and see if it kicks on. But you are right I have no way to tell if it is full until I get the electrical problem worked out first. F46 and f47 means low refrigerant f48 means refrigerant system problem. But f46 and f47 doesn't help me if the system won't suck the refrigerant in.
=========================
the compressor is disabled due to the low freon charge -

bypassing the safety measures is not a good idea -

clear the codes - and the compressor will run - briefly -
until the low freon charge is detected again -

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Deville
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I cleared the codes it won't charge. I even disconnected the negative battery and tried that way. I did some research someone had this same problem and the f48 turned out to be the low pressure switch. But I am still hesitant on it. But if anyone has anymore input please I am open. I am not trying to turn anyone down but I have tried all of this. I know it is not smart to bypass but if I get something to work I will deal with it right their and then. It is not temporary it is just testing and then that wire gets pulled off until the I get the problem fixed. Something with the f48 code is causing a problem. I can understand the system is low but when I hook the bottle up and nothing pulls into the system I have a problem. I even cleared the codes out and tried filling it up it doesn't want to fill.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Is the code for a faulty low pressure switch or just low pressure?

If it's for a faulty switch the compressor won't turn on until its fixed.

If it's for low pressure, you need two people. One to clear the code and one to immediately start adding refrigerant. As a last resort you can jumper the low pressure switch to get some refrigerant in, then once there's some pressure, plug the switch back in.

·
20,002 Posts
I cleared the codes it won't charge. I even disconnected the negative battery and tried that way. I did some research someone had this same problem and the f48 turned out to be the low pressure switch. But I am still hesitant on it. But if anyone has anymore input please I am open. I am not trying to turn anyone down but I have tried all of this. I know it is not smart to bypass but if I get something to work I will deal with it right their and then. It is not temporary it is just testing and then that wire gets pulled off until the I get the problem fixed. Something with the f48 code is causing a problem. I can understand the system is low but when I hook the bottle up and nothing pulls into the system I have a problem. I even cleared the codes out and tried filling it up it doesn't want to fill.
=====================
the exact wording of the code definition might shed some light on the problem -

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,313 Posts
Put a jumper on the switch connector (after clearing the codes). If the compressor activates, the switch is bad.

·
Registered
1992 Cadillac Deville
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess what guys I jumped the switch it went to auto. It wouldn't turn the clutch on I guess the switch was toast. I ordered the new switch last night. Got the switch today just put it in the clutch turned on and I was able to fill the system up. I have nice cold ac again. Thanks everyone that helped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts