Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hope somebody can help with an A/C problem that has me stumped.

First occurance several months ago, the A/C compressor would not engage. After some troubleshooting found that the ECC power module was bad. Problem was solved after replacing the module. After several weeks I noticed that the compressor was not shutting off when the A/C was turned off. The symptoms were a build up of pressure in the compressor and venting of R134 through some kind of High Pressure Valve. Again, the problem was fixed by replacing the ECC power module. Now, I have the "compressor not shutting off when A/C is turned off" problem again. I can only assume that the ECC power module is shot again. Three modules bad in less than six months? Does anyone have a handle on what can cause this to happen?

·
Registered
'87 SDV
1,296 Posts
I'm going to throw a dimestore diagnosis at you, but take it as no more than a guess.

Cadillac's Climate Control system is the most convenient curse these C-body cars have. From what you've listed here, I think your compressor is drawing too many amps when it engages - sort of a reverse power surge. This sudden draw overloads and eventually toasts your modules, and the toasted module is not sending the signal to shut off the compressor. Have your blown any fuses or noticed the belt chirping when the A/C engages?

·
Registered
88 Sedan Deville, 89 Eldorado, 11 SRX, 18 CT6
130 Posts
when my 88 did that (didnt blow any modules tho) it ended up being the relay which controlls the compressor by using the signal from the controller was "sticking" and hitting the relay made the ac turn off... changed the relay and BAM! works perfect again.

·
Registered
1986 fleetwood
2 Posts
I have an 86 fleetwood blower motor will not turn on from the control panel I replaced the ac relay and connector was burnt still no blower working I replaced the ground from the power module with a ground to the firewall blower runs constant I'm thinking bad power module any suggestions?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts