Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The passenger air is cold, front n rear. The drivers is not. The air is blowing just not cold.

·
Registered
2001 Deville DTS
82 Posts
It needs a refrigerant top off.
This resolution seems odd....why would the passenger side blow cold yet the driver be luke warm? The car has one compressor so the dual climate control systems aren't fully independent.....they both pull their "coldness" from the same condensor.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,099 Posts
I don't know why or how to explain it, but I do know that this is a symptom of low refrigerant in a dual zone system. It is not quite low enough to set a low refrigerant DTC. Trust me. Top it off and report back.

·
Registered
Cadillac
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, it seems an unliley solution. I will top off then report. I hope it works.

Thanks for the advise.

Curt

·
Registered
2001 Deville DTS
82 Posts
I don't know why or how to explain it, but I do know that this is a symptom of low refrigerant in a dual zone system. It is not quite low enough to set a low refrigerant DTC. Trust me. Top it off and report back.
I went ahead and got a 13oz can of R-134a from my local parts store. I then went and dumped 1/2 of the can in and saw a noticeable improvement but there was still a disparity between the driver and passenger. The driver was set at 60 degrees while the passenger on the coldest level. Decided to go ahead and put the rest of the can in (for the full pound).

The compressor "cycled" previously and after the can was added it continuiously ran engaged. I took it for a quick spin with a thermometer shoved in the vents. The ambient outside temp was 60 degrees (not the ideal testing environment). The drivers side generally ran between 52 and 58 degrees. The passenger side ran from 43 to 46 degrees. As you can see, there is still a disparity (but it is better).

I dont' have a full gauge set to give accurate pressures on the low and high sides. I just hope I didn't overfill! :confused:

Should I go ahead and get another can and slowly put more in? On a 2# system, I'm a little afraid to.

·
Registered
Cadillac
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ranger, thanks for the advise, I added a can of refrigerant. It did make a huge difference.

you da Boss!!:worship: I'm not worthy!1

·
Super Moderator
87,099 Posts
Glad it worked Devillin.

Not sure if I'd add any more V8. The system only holds 2 - 2 1/2 lbs. Might want to get some gauges or have it vacuumed and refilled.

·
Registered
2001 Deville DTS
82 Posts
Glad it worked Devillin.

Not sure if I'd add any more V8. The system only holds 2 - 2 1/2 lbs. Might want to get some gauges or have it vacuumed and refilled.
I'll run around a week or so to let the system equalize itself out and re-check the temps. I do have to say though, it was an improvement when I added the pound of r-134a.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
27 Posts
I have a similar problem on my 2000 dts. Passenger air is cold, but all other vents blow warm air. I am showing b0429 though. Will adding freon help me as well?

·
Super Moderator
87,099 Posts
Yes, it should. B0429 is for the rear temp control actuator. Very common, but not relevant to your problem.

·
Registered
2001 DTS
27 Posts
Thanks Ranger. That seemed to take care of it. Still doesn't make sense to me that it would be blowing cool on one side and not the other, but I'm happy with the result.

·
Registered
2001 DTS : 2005 CTS
200 Posts
can I ask pls, for some help on "what" to buy to add more refrigerant to the system -- and exactly "where" does one add it. as you can probably tell, I'm very DIY challenged....but would surely like to try to do this myself...

pointers here pls lads?

:)

Jim

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
You can buy the refrigerant at an Autozone or an Advanced auto. Sometimes (although rarely) you can find someone working there who actually knows what they are doing. Go in there and ask them to give you a hand. If nobody there is willing to help then look under the hood for the large silver cylinder with two hoses and a fitting on it. That is the AC accumulator and is located on the low side of the system. Start the car and turn on the AC. Hook up the cylinder and let the stuff get pulled into the system. You have to be careful when filling though because these are NOT cycling clutch systems. They are variable displacement compressors so it will not cycle like most do. If it starts to cycle you have overfilled the system and it is shutting off to prevent damage.

·
Super Moderator
87,099 Posts
And just buy R134a refrigerant. NO sealer or any other additives in it.

these are NOT cycling clutch systems.
Really? Are you saying that they run continuous? When did they change?

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Really? Are you saying that they run continuous? When did they change?
It should be. I can check at school tomorrow but nearly all GM cars switched to continuously variable compressors by 2000. My Mom's '00 Blazer has one, the '96 Olds LSS at school has one and we have a '98 Blazer there with one as well. It allows for better cooling and engine performance because the engine is not having resistance applied and removed as the clutch cycles, it is a continuous load.

·
Super Moderator
87,099 Posts
That is interesting. I never realized that. I'll have to be careful what I tell people from now on. You learn something new every day here. I agree though, I was never fond of the idea of that thing constantly spinning up from zero to God knows how many RPMs in an instant over and over again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts