Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1996 SLS / 2005 SRX V8
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can I use to flush ac system after compressor had gone bad?I removed the orfice filter and it had one small piece of metal and a grey film on it.I want to flush the system before I replace the compressor and dryer.I assume the compressor was leaking because when I added freon with dye I could not see any leaks on any fittings.

·
Registered
2000 DEVILLE,2001 STS.
122 Posts
A/C flush kits are available at auto parts stores. I have used mineral spirits in the past with nitrogen at around 120psi to purge debris and particulates from the system. I always replace the receiver as they are hard to get clean. I usually flush the system components individually if possible. Most techs don't advocate mineral spirits as a cleaning agent but it evaporates quickly and leaves no residue,however it is flammable.Make sure you get all the cleaning agent out!!!!!

·
Registered
1996 SLS / 2005 SRX V8
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info,I'll try the flush that ranger had in the link.What is the best way to get the compressor out?Is there access from the bottom aor should I take the radiator out?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,997 Posts
Compressor is accessed from the bottom. Through the wheel well I believe. I think there is an access panel to remove if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
You will find that the consensus on many R134a systems is that they are nearly impossible to flush completely and properly... Most agree the best and correct procedure it to replace most of the component "south" of the orifice tube... including:
1) The compressor,
2) The hoses,
3) The condenser
4) The accumulator
5) The orifice tube itself and
5) any Mufflers if equipped

The challenge with flushing a R134a system is that most modern condensers are "parallel flow" and have tiny passageways that are nearly impossible to clean out... one spec of left over aluminum is all that it takes to will ruin your brand new compressor...

It needs to be surgically clean and completely dry...

·
Registered
1997 ETC
55 Posts
Hello
My 97 ETC air conditioning works well. In general, if its working, don't mess with it? Or, do you do preventitive maintence to them? Thanks

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
No special PM is required... The best thing for all A/C systems is to use them at least once a week. This keeps the oil in circulation and prevents the seals in the hoses and compressor from leaking.

This system is one of the few on a car that the more you use it... the longer it lasts.

·
Registered
Cadillac
49 Posts
As long as the system hasn't been open for a long time, like sitting somewhere with a component missing, you shouldn't have to do any flushing. If you convert over to 134a just change the refrigerant. If you change the compressor, change the oil to the proper oil for 134a and evacuate and charge as you normally would. There should not be a big deal working on these systems. The acumulator is basically a filter/dryer and will be good to go with a good vacuum done to it to release any moisture in it.

Unless your compressor blew up and left a lot of crap in the system, which is rare, just change the faulty part and put a good vaccum on it and charge it. No big secrets or voodoo involved. They are much easier to service than a home system with the exception of accessability to some of the components.

Home AC systems have an electrical motor that will burn out and contaminate the system with black goo from the varnish from the motor windings, automotive systems don't have that problem and have very little to worry about as far as contaminants or goo to clean out. Switching to 143a without changing all the other components is not advised by people that sell you parts, cause they want you to buy all the parts. Just replace the refrigerant and run it. It will take years before any ill effects will happen and you will probably have gotten rid of the car or it will be in the boneyard by then.

I would only convert and change all the stuff in the system if it is a collector and you plan for it to be around for another 20-30 year or more. if it is a daily driver, just get it charged and run it. You will lose about 30% capacity from the old R-12 system, but there is nothing you can do about that. There are some other refrigerants on the market, but use 134a as it is the cheapest and anyone chan buy it. I just bought a 30 pound jug for 99 bucks. It did go as high as 350.00 two years ago, so if you diddle with AC systems, you might want to buy a few jugs right now while the price is low.

Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts