Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Deville
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im doing some work on my car and I was just wondering if I should always use ac delco for everything or is it ok to use other brands?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
Re: ac delco

Case by case basis. "AC Delco" is a HUGE parts supply and acquisition branch of GM. They source parts from any country and manufacturer you can name.

For instance, the AC Delco boxed Platinum spark plugs for our engines are sourced from DENSO in Japan, as do many sensors. Most fuel injection system parts come from Robert Bosch, Germany. Thermostats may be Dayco, Stant, Gates, others. I have two "AC Delco" Northstar water pumps on the shelf - one from China, one from the U.S., probably Gates. Bose sound systems with a GM label. ......... and on and on and on.

You need to use a leap of faith to assume that an AC Delco boxed part will live up to the GM parts contract specs ........

AC DELCO - 1900's - 1920's: Albert Champion (sound familiar ?) + Dayton Engineering Laboratories COmpany

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,267 Posts
Im doing some work on my car and I was just wondering if I should always use ac delco for everything or is it ok to use other brands?
==============================
no - yes

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
If you're not purchasing from a dealer, as in you're going to go to a store like Pepvancezone, check out Rockauto.com. Their prices are usually better than any brick-and-mortar parts store, and even though I never had to return anything to them, a mechanic I know insists that they are very easy to return to if necessary. I saved about $100 on parts for my Mazda B2200 when I had work done to it by shopping rockauto.com.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Depends on the part, some ACDelco stuff is very good, but some of it is poor quality, some of it the aftermarket parts are just better engineering

·
Registered
97 DeVille
172 Posts
If you're not purchasing from a dealer, as in you're going to go to a store like Pepvancezone, check out Rockauto.com. Their prices are usually better than any brick-and-mortar parts store, and even though I never had to return anything to them, a mechanic I know insists that they are very easy to return to if necessary. I saved about $100 on parts for my Mazda B2200 when I had work done to it by shopping rockauto.com.
Seconded. I saved between 20 and 50% on parts vs buying from local parts shops [which were still much cheaper than the dealer].

But I also search Amazon.com and ebay.com for more expensive parts because sometimes you can get really good deals sometimes.

For example, amazon sold me a fuel pump that locally would have cost me just over $500, for $30 + shipping [yes, a new pump]. From the fedex slip attached to the manufacturers box, Amazon got it just over a year before I bought it and I guess just wanted to get rid of it from their warehouse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts