Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Deville 03
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at purchasing both some acdelco brake rotors n outer tire rods for my 03 deville! I'm aware the advantage line has been designed to offer a more attractive price, but any input u guys can give me on their performance, especially focusin on rotors n rods! Tryin to figure out if it's worth me waitin to order the profess tire rods for $20 more a piece or can I go with the advantage? Thx for the help!

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
My experience with the cheap ACDelco line is that its the same Chinese crap as everybody else sells

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,329 Posts
I just put a set of "Power Stop" front Calipers, Pads, cross drilled and slotted rotors, and changed the flexible brake lines ON MY 2002 Deville. I got the Power Stop brake kit for $150. I don't know if you can find any on sale for that price but the brakes work GREAT.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
ALL rotors are made in China. Personally, I don't think there is any difference.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
I've got the acd advantage. They're cool. The car stops. It's all good =)

I'll try the expensive ones next time and we'll see

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
There are some still completely made in Italy and the UK, some are forged in China and machined in the US.

The price differences are in the accuracy of machining (some have less runout when new), and in anti corrosive coatings. Some manufacturers list the maximum runout variances for each tier of their product.

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
The chain I work for sells three brands. The top brand has a special coating (I don't rmeember what, because I don't really care) and carries a three-year warranty, the middle brand says it is made from "high quality steel" or some such, with a two year warranty. The bottom brand says it is made from recycled steel and pig iron, and carried a one-year warranty.

The last time I needed rotors, I bought the cheap brand from my work. I've been riding on them for three years now. I have been more than satisified. My car is old, and I'd imagine that it's specs allow for more inconsistencies than today's lazer-tolerance cars.

·
Registered
1985 Sedan DeVille
1,883 Posts
Cheap ones will warp if the rotor ever gets hot from something like caliper dragging

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
No they won't. Rotors don't warp.

Poorly machined ones may run on the pads twice per revolution, eventually causing pulsation from varying thickness of the friction surface.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
"Warped rotors" Is an ancient myth that will not go away. Cast iron doesn't warp. That's why they are made of cast iron.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts