Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 ETC
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My compressor on my ETC, makes noises from time to time, even though the air works fine. Is this a indication that it is getting ready to fail? Sounds like it might be the clutch. How expensive is this to replace, and if it is, can I get away with using a used or rebuilt one?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
If clutch is noisey that's one thing if compressor is knocking it's another. Used are a crap shoot man and freon costs $ especially when you have to pay for vac and recharge and it turns out to be junk. I picked up off Ebay compressor for both mine relatively cheap(under 100 each) and they are new.
If the clutch is noisey they can be replaced without losing freon on some cars.

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & '02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,131 Posts
It sounds to me like the clutch is starting to slip once the pressure gets up on the high side. If it's the original unit it would probably be best just to replace the compressor w/clutch, dryer and accumulator and be done with it since they are all likely nearing the end of their servicable life. If you just replace the clutch the compressor is likely to fail in the near future anyhow. I would suggest go with a reputable unit (e.g. AC/Delco) and not some knock off or a rebuilt unit.

·
Registered
99 ETC
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It sounds to me like the clutch is starting to slip once the pressure gets up on the high side. If it's the original unit it would probably be best just to replace the compressor w/clutch, dryer and accumulator and be done with it since they are all likely nearing the end of their servicable life. If you just replace the clutch the compressor is likely to fail in the near future anyhow. I would suggest go with a reputable unit (e.g. AC/Delco) and not some knock off or a rebuilt unit.
It is the original, car has 83,000 miles. Good suggestion, thanks for the input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts