Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

96 STS - My AC stopped working. Got the car checked out today and they say I need an AC compressor. 600cdn+ for the AC compressor. 4 hours labour.

Does this sound right?
Is it worth getting new or should I check into used?
4 hours labour?? Can it be done by someone who is fairly mechanically inclined. (I can do brakes, lift kits on jeeps (suspension work), water pumps, alternators.. As long as its straight forward im able to fix it.

Let me know.

Thanks,
Michael​

·
Registered
96' Eldorado, 00' Volvo 770 N14+ 525HP
154 Posts

·
Registered
N/A
1,103 Posts
Sounds like a deal to me. Just remember you may need a clutch assembly also. I'd ask the mechanic if that is a A/C Compressor AND A/C Clutch assembly. Many aftermarket units will be sold that way, from the dealer they need to be pieced together.

As for the labor time? 4 hours is about right. Between removing the a/c belt (serpentine belt), removing the clutch and installing on the new compressor (if necessary), removing any parts that are in the way, reinstalling, then charging and testing the system for other possible leaks, 4 hours is nothing.

·
Registered
Cadillac
46 Posts
yeah 600 ain't bad that's right the part alone new could run from 150-300 i have the same problem i'm just goin to wait until next spring to get it fixed

·
Registered
Cadillac
201 Posts
you can get a new compressor for 240 us....changing them is easy if you have any mechanical skills you should still be ok....you dont change out the clutch on compressors its just easier to replace the whole unit....i wouldn't see it taking any longer then an hour and half tops for the whole job including the vac and charge.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Hey big420 i am needing a new ac compressor for my '98 eldo, is there alot of part to remove? I am in the San Antonio area. Its good to see an eldo fan in the area.

·
Registered
88 CPE DV, 93 ELDO TOURING
173 Posts
What codes and what symptom? AC compressors usually fail after successive gas addition without oil. Mine survived 4 additions and was dry when I removed it but it felt ok so I put it back with new evaporator and now 2 yrs perfect. The other possibility is seal failure evidenced by a wet oily accumulation around the compressor clutch end. The tip-off is it washes off with water as the oils for 123a are water soluble. I'd charge it up if lost adding 2oz of oil and check operation. If its a leak somewhere a new compressor is a waste of money. Also The old one must be checked for signs of lockup or low oil operation. This sends shredded compressor seals and piston particles into the discharge. There is a muffler with a filter screen in the discharge which they say must be replaced if there is evidence, but at $300. I spent an hour and a quart of lacquer thinner and got it clean. (different car). I bought a rebuilt unit with expansion tube and drier for $127. off Ebay (3rd car). Advance sells it for $275 + $35 for drier req'd for warranty. I have one of theirs with no problems. I use a refrigerator compressor I retreived from the dump 35 years ago for a vaccuum pump. It does 28.5 " vaccuum which is plenty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts