Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'92 ALLANTE & 02 EXT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me with removing the 2 rear bolts on the compressor. I can see them but no access to getting to them .
Looks like a star bolt but I don't know what size. Does it take a special tool ?
What has to be removed to get to them ?

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,714 Posts
D
Don't try to remove those bolts; remove the bracket that attaches to the engine, THEN remove the two bolts from the compressor on the bench.
I believe they're Torx (star) head bolts.

·
Registered
'92 ALLANTE & 02 EXT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do I have to remove anything else to remove the bracket from the engine?
Cause I can't figure it out.
How many bolts hold the bracket ?

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,714 Posts
How are you accessing the compressor?
I've found that if you remove the fans and radiator, you have all the room (and eyesight) you need. Also, take the Freon lines out WITH the compressor. MUCH easier to determine which washers to use on the bench.
Can't remember how many bolts hold the bracket, think it's two.

·
Registered
'92 ALLANTE & 02 EXT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am trying to remove it from the bottom. Once I have it unbolted I can get it out without a problem. I can see the 2 star bolts from the bottom just can't get a socket or wrench in the small space.
The motor mount is in the way and in order to remove the motor mount I will have to jack up the engine about 3" and I am afraid I will mess up something else . My luck hasn't been good on this project.
I'm old school !

·
Registered
'92 Allante, '93 Allante
76 Posts
The compressor comes out through the right front wheel well. Jack up the car, remove the right front wheel, then the three screws and two plugs that hold the panel on. This allows you to reach the front two bolts of the compressor and remove it through that hole. The bracket is held on with two bolts into the engine block. If I remember rightly, they have a thirteen mm head. I unbolted the torque rod from the radiator, the radiator support, then the two fans, this will allow the radiator to move forward and give you enough room to work, reasonably, comfortably.

·
Registered
'92 ALLANTE & 02 EXT
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally done with this project !
Service Manual has "10 easy steps" for removal & states that nothing else has to be removed. (THAT'S A BUNCH OF CRAP)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts