Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My deville has recently aquired a loud squeel comming from the AC Compressor Pully. I have removed the left front tire and the two splash shield to reveal the AC Compressor. There appears th be just enough room between the cluch and the frame to remove the cluch. The pully is another question. I dont think I can get a puller on it since there is virtually no space between the pully and the mounting bracket on the engine. But the way the engine is a 4.9 litre. I might be able to massage the pully off with two large screw drivers from above. Is this do able or am I just waisting my time considering this? The dealer quoted me $300.00 labor to remove the AC compressor replace the bearing and replace the compressor. I then would have to have the system vacumed and recharged who knows what that would cost in addition. it seems crazy to spend all that cash just to replace a $33.00 bering. I could be using that money for gas.
Thanks
Mike OConnor

·
Registered
927 Posts
honestly it's much easier and you'll save time by just removing the air compressor and spending $40 on a kit from autozone so you can refill the freon yourself it's very easy and you can't screw it up just fill it up with the amount it says on the accumulator.

do it the right way there just isn't enough space to do anything with the compressor in place

as for refilling just turn your a/c on high and refill your a/c should lose all pressure when you disconnect the lines at the compressor

even if you do have to pay to have it recharged only you'll still save money and time by taking out the compressor to change the bearing

btw it's fall so you probably won't need your a/c until summer that can wait also

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,242 Posts
You can't just refill the A/C after opening it up. You have to vacuum it down first, then refill.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts