Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone replaced an AC compressor on their Seville or Eldo. I have a 96 STS and I think my AC clutch is going. The dealer wants too much and my retarded Chiltons manual does not cover this. I'm fairly skilled but I know sometimes its all about having the right tools. :D

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Just curious ?

Before I took possesion of my 93 SLS the previous owner told me he had a bad noise whenever the AC kicked in. He took it to the dealer and (Luckily) his waranty covered what they said was his compressor.
The thing is it was still doing the same thing after. I took a look and noticed that the fan for the AC had some gunk on it. He had some undercoating done recently and they some how got some on one of the blades. All his problem was, was an unbalanced fan.
Needless to say the warranty people freaked out on GM for that. But wasnt his problem.
Only mentioning this because you didnt say why you think it needs to be replaced. I personally dont know the symptoms of a bad AC clutch but thought it might be insightfull to someone. :confused:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think its my fan due to the fact that it only starts making the noise after the AC/def/heater are turned on. I drove it today and it didn't make the noise once. But as soon as I turn the AC on, tic tic tic. I checked on a clutch and it is cheaper to buy the whole AC compressor and clutch on ebay brand new than it is for the clutch alone at my local parts store. I think that is my best option and just have an extra compressor. I still want to find out if there is anyone who has replaced their clutch or compressor. Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Was the same. Only when the AC kicked in. I dont know about the 96 STS but my 93 SLS has 2 fans. One for the Rad and another for the AC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Murphyg