Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Seville
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Fleetwood Brougham with LT1 and my ac compressor pulley seized up im seeing if there is a way to bypass that pulley so that the car will run and I can drive it temporarily.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,159 Posts
Unfortunately, no. The belt routing just doesn't allow it. However, you can get an AC delete bracket/pulley. It's the same labour to replace the compressor (but more $$ to flush/fill).

Made by Dorman, available at any parts store.

·
Registered
1977 Coupe (blue), 1977 Coupe (yellow), 1977 Coupe (green)
1,493 Posts
The other option is to replace the bearing. You have to be sure to set the correct preload when you replace it.

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood Brougham, dark Adriatic Blue Metallic
155 Posts
Reviving a fairly old thread... I'm not NOT a mechanic but an OK home garage wrench-turner. How hard is it to remove a bad compressor and replace it with one of these ac-delete bracket/pulleys? I may need to do this as my AC is not working. The system is charged with refrigerant and the pulley on the compressor spins but the unit does not engage. No way I'm paying $700-$1000 to get it all replaced on a car I recently bought for $4,400 just to have as a little-driven project. I will check the 10amp fuse but is there an easy way to check the relay?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,159 Posts
jc95fwd said:
I'm not at the car now and don't have a fuse/relay diagram handy: is there a relay identical to the compressor relay to swap with?
Do this test first. Start car, ac on. Remove plug on the accumulator. Take a wire or a paper clip, and short across the terminals in the connector you just unplugged. Does the compressor start?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Do this test first. Start car, ac on. Remove plug on the accumulator. Take a wire or a paper clip, and short across the terminals in the connector you just unplugged. Does the compressor start?
I'm not too vain to not own up to my ignorance in this area so here's two dumb questions:
1. Do I short across the terminals in the end of the cable or on the two prongs sticking out of the accumulator itself?
2. If I'm using a paper clip am I going to get a shock (are you supposed to put some electrical tape in the middle so your finger doesn't come in contact with the wire of the paper clip)?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,159 Posts
Short the two terminals in the connection that is on the wires. You won't get shocked, but you can certainly use an insulated wire.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Jay, I did the procedure you described and, somewhat to my (pleasant) surprise, the compressor started turning! Does that indicate that it may be OK but that the relay is bad? The 10A fuse on the small interior box (left of driver side dash) is good.
UPDATE: Disappointment :( Concluding (perhaps incorrectly) that the relay was bad I bought a new one. Popped it in, started the car and turned on the AC to max and... nothing; the compressor did NOT start turning/running. Any words of wisdom?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Jay, I did the procedure you described and, somewhat to my (pleasant) surprise, the compressor started turning! Does that indicate that it may be OK but that the relay is bad? The 10A fuse on the small interior box (left of driver side dash) is good.
UPDATE: Disappointment :( Concluding (perhaps incorrectly) that the relay was bad I bought a new one. Popped it in, started the car and turned on the AC to max and... nothing; the compressor did NOT start turning/running. Any words of wisdom?
Jay? Anyone? Help!

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,159 Posts
I'm here, well, actually, in a cafe in Rome.

Simple, your ac is low on charge. Or your pressure switch is bad ( unlikely). I would grab a refill can, no sealer, and fill. Do it ac on, at 2500 rpm, low port.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks but the thing is, not knowing the best order of things in trying to figure out why my AC wasn't working I added a can of R134A as one of my first steps and as I recall the gauge said it was at a decent level. So... how do I test a pressure switch???

In trying to further educate myself, I read on another site that I may need to pull the OBDI codes, see if there is an AC related one, then clear it/them and perhaps then the compressor will come on when it should if the pressure switch is not faulty. Does that sound plausible? Also, is there just one pressure switch on these cars, the one screwed into the front side of the accumulator???

·
Registered
155 Posts
I only see one port available to plug a quick-connect hose with gauge into and that is on the top semi-forward facing side of the accumulator. Is that the "low side port"? I did that yesterday afternoon with the engine and AC turned on and the cheapo gauge said it was low. IF that's the correct port then maybe I'll go to good ol' Auto Zone and get another can of R134A, put it in and see what the situation is. Thanks.

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
491 Posts
I only see one port available to plug a quick-connect hose with gauge into and that is on the top semi-forward facing side of the accumulator. Is that the "low side port"? I did that yesterday afternoon with the engine and AC turned on and the cheapo gauge said it was low. IF that's the correct port then maybe I'll go to good ol' Auto Zone and get another can of R134A, put it in and see what the situation is. Thanks.
Yep, that's the right port. Try adding again, but it sounds like you may have a leak if it takes a charge, but then leaks back down.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yep, that's the right port. Try adding again, but it sounds like you may have a leak if it takes a charge, but then leaks back down.
How in the heck would I need to do in order to detect a leak? I'm guessing it's not super easy and involves checking several connections. Argh.

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
they sell kits for this at auto parts stores. It's a dye that you put into the system and then you basically use a black light to see where the dye is coming out.

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
491 Posts
When you go to autozone, make sure you buy the refrigerant that says "UV" on the front. That means it has the dye in it already. Top off your system with it and next time it gets low, go back to autozone and rent the "Leak Detector Kit" that comes with a black light and glasses. It's free just a deposit. Trace the lines with the light, you'll spot it no problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Now I'm really stumped and discouraged... I've checked and/or replaced the relay, the pressure switch and topped off the refrigerant and the AC still does not work; no cold air blows and the compressor does not engage. It DOES start turning however when I short the two leads in the connector to the pressure switch. So... is there anything else an average schmuck can check without special skills/tools or am I looking at big bucks for a professional replacement of most of the system components? :(

----------

----------

1 - 20 of 35 Posts