Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
. Noticed yesterday my AC started putting heat out through the passenger side air vents! I closed
them as much as I could but, it would really suck for a passenger to deal with it! Any ideas?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,518 Posts
Pull your trouble codes and look for a blend door fault or low refrigerant warning.

Turn OFF the entire HVAC system, shut down the car and disconnect the battery for 5 minutes. Maybe - just maybe - a blend door actuator needs a relearn. (It's black magic, but sometimes ..................)

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had a low refrigerant 2 months ago. They charged the system and it's been running/working great since. Only active code I
have is P0741. I'll go double check though. Will try the disconnect after pulling codes.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pulled codes again. Only Active code is P0741. History codes. A number of codes dealing with KAM memory. Engine was pulled to do the
head studs so that makes sense. An IRC B1771 which isn't listed on the sites I found here. Then another History code: ACM B1341 an Air Mix
Door Movement Fault? It's in history so, what does this mean? Any suggestions. Didn't disconnect battery yet.

----------

I know, but lasts about 1 1/2 years so, haven't chased that one yet. Have a drivers power seat acting up, the recently fixed engine issues,
now the HVAC system. Always seem to be chasing something. :)

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,289 Posts
Pulled codes again. Only Active code is P0741. History codes. A number of codes dealing with KAM memory. Engine was pulled to do the
head studs so that makes sense. An IRC B1771 which isn't listed on the sites I found here. Then another History code: ACM B1341 an Air Mix
Door Movement Fault? It's in history so, what does this mean? Any suggestions. Didn't disconnect battery yet.

----------

I know, but lasts about 1 1/2 years so, haven't chased that one yet. Have a drivers power seat acting up, the recently fixed engine issues,
now the HVAC system. Always seem to be chasing something. :)
==========================
An IRC B1771 which isn't listed on the sites I found here
no such code - probably read it wrong -

B1341 - Air Mix Door Two Movement Fault
the #2 mix door is for the passenger side -

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
"An IRC B1771 which isn't listed on the sites I found here
no such code - probably read it wrong -"

Went through the codes twice checking them off on a sheet of paper. But, almost anything is possible. Going out now to reconnect the battery terminal. Will update on what happens.

SPOOKY! Connected the battery and Eureka, cold air out of the passenger side vents also! Hope it works for a while.
Is this just a temporary fix or, does it work for a while?

·
19,289 Posts
"An IRC B1771 which isn't listed on the sites I found here
no such code - probably read it wrong -"

Went through the codes twice checking them off on a sheet of paper. But, almost anything is possible. Going out now to reconnect the battery
terminal. Will update on what happens.
SPOOKY! Connected the battery and Eureka, cold air out of the passenger side vents also! Hope it works for a while.
=======================
the CC mix door actuators use the positions 0 through 255 -
to remember their previous settings -

sometimes they "forget" where they were -
and get "lost" while searching -

disconnecting the battery erases the memory -
and causes the actuators to reset themselves -

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How do I trouble shoot if it's the actuator or the door itself? I don't have a full set of manuals and wondering where to find location information. I'm assuming, when I find the door/actuator, disconnect the actuator and see if the door is binding or, if the actuator is just "Weak"?
Or, since disconnecting the battery got it working again, mechanically it's ok, just losing it's mind on occasion? :drool:

·
19,289 Posts
How do I trouble shoot if it's the actuator or the door itself? I don't have a full set of manuals and wondering where to find location information. I'm assuming, when I find the door/actuator, disconnect the actuator and see if the door is binding or, if the actuator is just "Weak"?
Or, since disconnecting the battery got it working again, mechanically it's ok, just losing it's mind on occasion? :drool:
======================
I would just wait and see what happens -

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
======================
I would just wait and see what happens -
Passenger side started blowing hot air again. Disconnected battery, blowing cold air again. Will update as this progresses.
What item actually tracks the position of the door? Is there an encoder on the door or, another device that tracks/remembers it's
position? Thanks.

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Basscat;
You posted earlier;
"we expect to see #2 mix door code -
and probably a #3 mix door code -

the #2 mix door actuator is also the actuator for the #3 - rear seat temp control -

it is actually fairly simple to replace by removing the glove box -"

Is there a procedure here for doing that and would replacing this possibly help with the problem I'm having?
Wondering if I should start looking for an Air Mix #2 Door in case it keeps losing it's mind?

·
19,289 Posts
Basscat;
You posted earlier;
"we expect to see #2 mix door code -
and probably a #3 mix door code -

the #2 mix door actuator is also the actuator for the #3 - rear seat temp control -

it is actually fairly simple to replace by removing the glove box -"

Is there a procedure here for doing that and would replacing this possibly help with the problem I'm having?
Wondering if I should start looking for an Air Mix #2 Door in case it keeps losing it's mind?
=========================
the above information is specific to the 2000+ Deville -

your 98 is still a combination of electronic and vacuum -

I think vacuum is used to control MODE -
and electric actuators control temp -

the #2 actuator is for the passenger side -
however - both #1 driver side and #2 passenger side use the same part -

I recommend the Dorman 604-128 - and enjoy the $avings -
$57 - each - with free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/Dorman-604-128-Air-Door-Actuator/dp/B004SF3KMS/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Cadillac|46&Model=DeVille|406&Year=1998|1998&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

look in the TechTips forum for a HowTo - here -
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips-how-fix/

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
"I think vacuum is used to control MODE -
and electric actuators control temp - "

Basscat: This fits with the issue I'm having. The passenger airflow is still coming out of the upper vents, it just goes to full heat instead of
cold air. Thank you for clearing that up! So, it appears the vacuum is working ok.
Only tehc tip I see for an actuator is for a 2002 DeVille stating "Others similar". Is that the one I should be reading? I'll keep looking
for something more specific to my body style. Thanks.
FOUND IT, Maybe? From Ranger Titled "Accessing the Air Mix Doors on a 1997 DeVille". Should be closer than a 2002! :)

·
19,289 Posts
"I think vacuum is used to control MODE -
and electric actuators control temp - "

Basscat: This fits with the issue I'm having. The passenger airflow is still coming out of the upper vents, it just goes to full heat instead of
cold air. Thank you for clearing that up! So, it appears the vacuum is working ok.
Only tehc tip I see for an actuator is for a 2002 DeVille stating "Others similar". Is that the one I should be reading? I'll keep looking
for something more specific to my body style. Thanks.
FOUND IT, Maybe? From Ranger Titled "Accessing the Air Mix Doors on a 1997 DeVille". Should be closer than a 2002! :)
======================================
FOUND IT, Maybe?
From Ranger Titled "Accessing the Air Mix Doors on a 1997 DeVille".
Should be closer than a 2002!

yup - that should help -

1 - 16 of 16 Posts