Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched through the forum and I feel confident I know how to trouble shoot. But where is the blend door actuators for the driver side and passenger side located??. I believe one is located behind the glove box but not sure. I have a 2000 Eldorado ESC. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
522 Posts
One is behind the glove box and the other one is below just above the passenger side foot well.
You access it by removing the cover above the passenger side foot well.
For the other one, you have to remove the glove box to get at it.

I would suggest replacing both. I did one in my 98 Eldo and had to do the other one shortly there after.
I cant recall which the passenger or driver's side so maybe someone can provide that detail.
They're easy to remove.. just take care when disconnecting the blend door arm.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sometimes the gear on the motor just needs lubricating. Mine was doing the same thing, when I got to it under the glove box, I lubed it first and turned on the ac to watch it and it stopped hanging up. Try that before pulling it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sometimes the gear on the motor just needs lubricating. Mine was doing the same thing, when I got to it under the glove box, I lubed it first and turned on the ac to watch it and it stopped hanging up. Try that before pulling it.
My 98 Eldo is doing the same thing. Been doing it occasionally since I picked it up in(2013) Florida. Always thought it was sticking from lack of using the heater.(in Florida) I thought these controls were vacuum operated? How is a motor involved in the cold/hot choice?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,827 Posts
My 98 Eldo is doing the same thing. Been doing it occasionally since I picked it up in(2013) Florida. Always thought it was sticking from lack of using the heater.(in Florida) I thought these controls were vacuum operated? How is a motor involved in the cold/hot choice?
===========================
the MODE - where the air blows from - is vacuum controlled -

the temperature actuators are electric motors -

·
Registered
189 Posts
===========================
the MODE - where the air blows from - is vacuum controlled -

the temperature actuators are electric motors -
I replaced the vacuum unit and all the lines that came with the new used unit,not fun, on the lower passenger side, can't remember the correct name, 5 years ago. Had a p brake release issue. Wasn't electrical. Thought it might help the hot cold/issue as well. Know better now. Everything worked good (95%) till now. Actuators are screwing up and I plan to repair. Any tricks or watch out fors with the glove box. Seems to be in there pretty solid. Any
air bag concern?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Nothing special to remove the glove box or any concerns with the air bag.
The glove box is held in by 4 torx screws, 2 on each side of it. Just remove them, disconnect the wire for the light, and remove it.

Sub, Basscat,
Sorry about the double post.. my browser gave me an error message and ended posting my reply twice.
Feel free to remove one and this reply too..

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Bear in mind, a low Freon condition will cause this condition.
I've got a '01 Deville that exhibits this hot driver's side issue; 30# on the low side, apparently not enough to shut down the compressor.
Topped it off at 40-42#, and we're back with cool air for the driver.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is the place I got the actuators from. They arrived quickly and well packaged. Cheapest I could find too.
https://www.am-autoparts.com/2000/Cadillac/Eldorado/ac-and-heater-controls/AM-23545103/584206.html?rawFit=584206-2000&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoInnBRDDARIsANBVyASPXiaffpcppfcL2grhqAFsBuB3OIBj7afADmEwEMZBDStJB7-Y3KMaAoL0EALw_wcB
I went to the local U-Pull & Pay to learn how to get to the actuators and remove the parts. The one in the passenger foot well sucks because you have to lay on your back across the still even with the seat all the way back. Unless your pretty skinny there just isn't a lot of room. 3 bolts to remove the panel that holds the foot well light. Disconnect the light once the panel is dropped and just set the panel aside. The actuator has 2 screws, electrical connector and BEWARE of the little plastic clip that extends thru the hole in the plastic arm. The arm doesn't come off. Squeeze the clip together and push it thru the hole in the arm. You may need to turn it so you can see where to squeeze it. It's not hard just awkward.

The one behind the glove box is directly behind the glove box sitting on top of the duct thing. The glove box has those torx screws and once they are removed it just pulls straight out. Disconnect the light and the other things on the front of the box. It pulls out far enough for that. I didn't see the actuator at first and had to look for it. The long bent steel vent arm attached to the plastic actuator arm was the give away for me. You have very little room to work in and no light to see it. Try not to use a deep well socket unless your using your fingers to turn it. You just don't have the room with a 1/4 inch drive ratchet and a deep well socket. A regular socket and a 1/4 inch drive ratchet should work. Practice on a junk car first if you can. That way you can pocket those little plastic clips in case you break the ones on your car.

·
18,827 Posts
Cheapest I could find too
if you are just shopping for the cheapest price -
ULTRA-POWER 604128 - $14.47 - plus $2.99 shipping = $17.46
from rockauto.com

I'm not recommending - nor would I ever use these parts in my car -
even if it was a 5 minute job - I hate doing things over -

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,638 Posts
Curiously - Airtex, DELPHI, UltraPower, AC Delco, many, many others are all OEM GM suppliers.

Who made this "AC Delco" branded fuel pump assembly ???

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
One is behind the glove box and the other one is below just above the passenger side foot well.
You access it by removing the cover above the passenger side foot well.
For the other one, you have to remove the glove box to get at it.

I would suggest replacing both. I did one in my 98 Eldo and had to do the other one shortly there after.
I cant recall which the passenger or driver's side so maybe someone can provide that detail.
They're easy to remove.. just take care when disconnecting the blend door arm.
Removed the glove box and saw the actuator arm and rod pivot point was sometimes rubbing, sometimes hanging up on the unit body . Far right corner and side extends up about 1". Soft plastic. Snipped it off and all good. Exposed the bottom actuator and saw that the arm was " bouncing" "pulsing". Removed it and took it apart. STUBBORN or else a trick I didn't know. Main gear was broken, don't know if I did it or not. Didn't care since I was going to order a new one. Pushed the arm to full cold and closed everything back up till OEM part from RockAuto arrives. Pricey but why screw around. Didn't connect any electric. Trunk(Valet) and Fuel door are dissabled. No biggie. So far so good.

·
18,827 Posts
Removed the glove box and saw the actuator arm and rod pivot point was sometimes rubbing, sometimes hanging up on the unit body . Far right corner and side extends up about 1". Soft plastic. Snipped it off and all good. Exposed the bottom actuator and saw that the arm was " bouncing" "pulsing". Removed it and took it apart. STUBBORN or else a trick I didn't know. Main gear was broken, don't know if I did it or not. Didn't care since I was going to order a new one. Pushed the arm to full cold and closed everything back up till OEM part from RockAuto arrives. Pricey but why screw around. Didn't connect any electric. Trunk(Valet) and Fuel door are dissabled. No biggie. So far so good.
=========================
Main gear was broken, don't know if I did it or not.
probably NOT - the plastic/nylon just gets old and brittle and cracks -

1 - 14 of 14 Posts