Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1995 SLS, 1996 STS
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if it's carbon monoxide or something else, but whatever it is the AC is shooting me in the face with it. It smells like fuel. I think it's carbon monoxide. God knows how much of it I inhaled today before I realized what was happening.

Any ideas? No AC in the meantime, I guess... nice that it's about 90 degrees and muggy as all hell.

I'm going to be sweating like a rapist.

Thanks.

·
Registered
99 Seville STS, 08 STS4 N* 1SG F55
3,516 Posts
If it was CO a) you'd pass out and be dead and b) you would have to have a really bad exhaust leak that violated the laws of aerodynamics. Fuel smell sounds like a possible fuel leak where the car would just burst into flames. Is your gas mileage bad?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,974 Posts
You don't mention the year, but your profile shows '96 & '95. Both were included in the fuel rail recall. Have they been done?

·
Registered
1995 SLS, 1996 STS
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no idea about the fuel rail recall. I'm assuming it was done by the first person who owned the car the first 90,000 miles. Me, personally, I have no clue. How can I check?

Yeah, it's not carbon monoxide. It's gas. When the car isn't moving, it's Ok. The second I step on the accelerator, I get a big whiff of gas. It's not just blowing through the vents. It's constantly present when I drive.

My gas tank is fine. I haven't noticed a weird drop or anything. Is this something I can take to the mechanic and have him correct easily? I'm assuming I shouldn't be driving around much with the car like this... after all, what if someone lights up a cigarette. Not good.

·
Registered
1995 SLS, 1996 STS
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
leaking fuel rail... there's a tiny hole in the hose. $750 to fix. Any suggestions? Can I just go get a used one somewhere? Should I replace the entire fuel rail? It's a tiny hole in one of the tubes that's spitting out the gas. Is that a fuel rail connector? Can I just change that? The mechanic seems to think the whole manifold needs to be removed to put down everything new.

I'm going to call the dealer to see what's up.

·
Registered
1995 SLS, 1996 STS
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went to dealership. Long story short, I have an appointment for next week when they'll replace the fuel rail at no cost. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
'95 White Diamond Eldorado Biarritz
184 Posts
GM issued a saftey recall for the fuel rail (as you may already know if you spoken with the dealership). Take your car in (to the dealership), wait an hour or so whey they replace the fuel rail, and then be on your way! (without spending a dime :D)

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,974 Posts
leaking fuel rail... there's a tiny hole in the hose.
And thus the reason for the recall. The new one will be stainless steel. If your other car hasn't been done, get it done before it leaks. That is a real fire hazzard.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
I would NOT drive the car until this gets fixed, knowing now that there is a confirmed leak. I might even consider having it towed to the dealer next week when the time comes, and renting an el-cheapo compact car until then. It's a real fire hazard (thus the free-to-you recall).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts