Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 V Coupe Black Raven, 2011 CTS Performance Coupe, 2012 Premium Coupe w/Recaros.
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so we‘re looking at yet another CTS for my wife and think we’ve found the one she wants. Great car, but I noticed while looking under the car an enormous amount of water pouring out of the bottom. Not only pouring out, but hitting the exhaust and sizzling. I’m aware a certain amount of condensation on the ground on every car while humid and AC on, but this was a lot! Plus hitting the exhaust? What’s that about? I came home and cranked my other identical CTS and not a drop of water on the ground with the AC fully cranked up for a while. Nothing!
Anyone know anything about this? I guess these CTS’s don’t have an accumulator from what I can see and researched Which if I’m not mistaken, that’s usually where all that moisture comes from.
Any ideas guys?

Kenny

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
76,825 Posts
It's supposed to drip. If it doesn't, then the sump drain is clogged.

But not onto an exhaust pipe.

My STS and Explorer both leave copious piddle trails on humid days.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
18,821 Posts
I looked a long time yesterday underneath my wife's Audi, too.

·
Premium Member
2012 V Coupe Black Raven, 2011 CTS Performance Coupe, 2012 Premium Coupe w/Recaros.
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is the AC working properly? Is what is "pouring out" clear water ?
Ya know, we test drove it and it did seem to work fine, however, I did smell this faint odor that was rather odd. My first thought was that this car did come from California, so maybe their coolant is a bit different than other states. Yes it was clean water pouring out.

Note: I left my house yesterday and had to come back for something. I noticed a wet spot on the driveway, looked under my car and low and behold, water/condensation pouring on the ground just like the car I’m asking about! Not only that, it was hitting the exhaust as well! So now I’m assuming that’s the way GM designed these cars. Or that would be one hell of a coincidence. This video was my car yesterday. This was pretty much what was happening the other day to that other car. Just seems crazy it hits the exhaust pipes. 🤷🏼
So unless y’all think otherwise, problem solved and this is pretty normal in hot and very humid conditions.

·
Registered
08 CTS DI
3,068 Posts
Clearly evaporative condensation unless there's water instead of radiator fluid in the radiator and the heater core is leaking. Looks like it's doing a good job of cooling and there's lots of moisture in the air. The drain is in the floor board/driveshaft tunnel about mid right shin area. Make note of that in case it gets clogged up and the water seen dropping on the ground starts to overflow into the car. It will show up as water on the mat on dry days.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
2,753 Posts
if the car really did come from California then you may want to have the dealer program the HVAC fan to run a while longer to air out the water in the evaporator after the car is shut off.

Or; To help maintain your vents in the summer, turn off the air conditioner and let the fans run for a few minutes before turning off the car’s ignition. This will help clear out some of the moisture that forms in the AC vents.
The southwest USA has very little humidity so we don't see much water from A/C units.

Attachments

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
18,821 Posts
Flash, do you even have moisture out there?

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if the car really did come from California then you may want to have the dealer program the HVAC fan to run a while longer to air out the water in the evaporator after the car is shut off.

Or; To help maintain your vents in the summer, turn off the air conditioner and let the fans run for a few minutes before turning off the car’s ignition. This will help clear out some of the moisture that forms in the AC vents.
The southwest USA has very little humidity so we don't see much water from A/C units.
Awesomeness! Thanks Flash. Definitely will do.
Do you think this car will have to use California coolant from now on? Will I be able to switch it to R134? If I remember correctly, and I may have mentioned this in the OP, but doesn’t Cal cars use a different kind of coolant?

·
Super Moderator
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
15,698 Posts
Awesomeness! Thanks Flash. Definitely will do.
Do you think this car will have to use California coolant from now on? Will I be able to switch it to R134? If I remember correctly, and I may have mentioned this in the OP, but doesn’t Cal cars use a different kind of coolant?

I know nothing of this California Coolant you speak of.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
🤷🏼 Ok I get it that’s funny. California coolant. Haha. Fair enough. Buuuuuuut I did say SEEMS like right? I just looked it up on Walmart where I thought I seen that, and I guess what I seen was this (in my defense) It says “California Only”. So there! LOL I knew I remembered something
Font Gadget Rectangle Technology Cloud

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
LSD?

·
Registered
18,821 Posts
Shows where each of our minds is at.

Reactions: NorthernSRX
1 - 20 of 26 Posts