Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey all-
The ABS and Traction Control lights are illuminated on my dash. They just came on the other day and they come up every time I put the car in drive. I tested the air pressure in the tires and disconnected the battery for sh!ts and giggles, but it didn't help.
From what I hear, it could most likely be a wheel sensor, but when I went to AutoZone to have the computer scanned for codes, they told me they could only do the engine management codes. I know there are 2 computers in the FW, but which one powers the ABS and Traction Control? I figured it would be with the engine controls since the fuel is cut in the actions...please let me know.

And, how can I find out what the code is? I know there's some trick to make the code appear on the climate control - will that work, and how do you do it again?

Sorry for the stupid questions, but I'm kinda lost... Oh, and by the way, ABS or Traction Control have been disabled, because I tested both to see what the car's reaction would be, so it's not just a mystery light...

Thanks in advance! Enlighten me, oh great Cadillac gurus!
Jeff

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
You should be able to press the OFF and PASS WARMER buttons on the HVAC panel to put the system in diagnostic mode. It should tell you the codes then, either by a series of SES light flashes (it's been a while since they did that) or a readout on a display (this is what Cadillac likes to do).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am new to this Forum and I realize that the original post was old (2003), but I am having the same problem with my 96 Sedan Deville. ABS and Traction Control lights both came on at the same time. This occurred about a week or two after I had a new (used) engine installed. The reply to the original question was over my head. I know nothing about these new computers. We took it to a local Caddy dealer (that we don't trust)-the slip says "tech verified and found has EBCM internal failure needs ABS modulating valve and is unsafe to drive". We declined the repairs because of the cost. Any ideas on what to do? Is it hard to put in this mod valve?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,605 Posts
I think the modulating valve is internal to the EBCM. The EBCM has to be replaced. Not cheap or easy from what I understand (depending on yur capabilities of coarse). I don't think it is unsafe to drive though. It just means that you have no ABS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I drove the danged thing tonite and both the ABS and Traction Control lights went out...and then came on.........and then went off. I drove it about 10 miles home and they stayed off. I restarted in the garage, put in Drive and neither light came on. Something must be triggering this and I don't think that it's just the warning lights coming on. Funny that both lights come on and go off at the same time. What is the connection between the two?

I think that when it is lit up, the traction control IS bypassing 1st gear. Too expensive to fix and too hard to find........drive it 'til it drops I guess! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,605 Posts
The connection is that T/C needs ABS to operate. When the system detects a wheel spin via the wheel speed sensor in the hub, it engages the ABS via the EBCM to that wheel to gain traction again. ABS can work without T/C, but T/C cannot work without ABS, which is controled by the EBCM.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts