Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Cadillac Catera, 2001 Seville STS
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AS most of you guys on here know I just bought an 01 Seville STS. And my ABS Traction Control Light is on, and i'm trying to think of the best place to take my Seville to fix this issue. Now I have called around and PepBoys are saying they do not provided that type of services and the same with Firestone, now TireKingdom said they can do a diagnosis test for $105.99 and then how much i'm looking at to fix the car, now Massey Cadillac said they can do a diagnosis test for $150.99 and the same and tell me what i'm looking at to get fixed. someone said it would range between $250 to $528 maybe more. My thing is should I it alone for a while and go head and change my brakes and pads on all for tires which i need to do anyways and take the car to Massey Cadillac.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,795 Posts
Why don't you pull your own DTC's and see what you come up with. That might tell you (and us) what the problem is for free.

·
Registered
02 Seville, 04 SRX
1,341 Posts
Pull the codes. Don't waste money on something that is probably diagnosed by codes you can pull yourself. I'm going to take a shot in the dark, but it is probably your ignition switch causing the problem. Let's see those codes though.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Don't assume anything until you pull the codes.
But if I had to assume (say we are betting money on what the codes will tell), I would say you have a wheel speed sensor related issue (is the most common). The easy cheap issue is somebody did some work at a wheel and forgot to plug the ABS connector to the hub. The expensive solution is one of the wheel speed sensors is bad and the sensor is part of the wheel hub, thus you need to replace the wheel hub.
The other issues you may have are: bad wiring between wheel speed sensors and EBTCM, bad connection at the EBTCM connector, rusted ground connection at the EBTCM connector. These are all the problems that can turn your ABS and T/C light on.
Now you pull the codes and we'll se what is the actual issue.
Good thing you asked before paying quite allot of money for something you can do yourself with no tools in less than 1 minute (follow MC's link).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't assume anything until you pull the codes.
I pulled all the codes that came up on MT, so i'm hopping you guys can help me out.

Codes
ABS C1233 CURRENT
ABS C1236 History
ABS C1246 CURRENT
ABS C1248 History
ABS C1254 History
ABS C1255 History
ABS C1277 History
ABS C1287 History
ABS C1288 History
ABS C1294 History
ABS C1295 History
ABS C1298 History
NO AMP CODES
DDM B1327 History
DDM B1328 History
DDM B1581 History
DDM B1591 History
DDM B3832 History
DDM B3833 History
DDM U1161 History
DDM U1713 History
DDM U1714 History
DDM U1716 History
DIM B1324 History
DIM B1982 History
DIM B1983 History
DIM U1255 History
NO IPC CODES
IPM B1652 History
IRC B1245 History
IRC B1327 History
IRC U1000 History
IRC U1064 History
IRC U1065 History
IRC U1160 History
IRC U1016 History
IRC U1129 History
MSM B1327 History
MSM B1755 History
MSM B1830 History
MSM B1835 History
MSM B1840 History
MSM B1845 History
MSM B1860 History
MSM B1875 History
MSM U1000 History
MSM U1305 History
MSM U1160 History
MSM U1064 History
MSM U1016 History
PCM P0102 History
PCM P0107 CURRENT
PCM P0326 History
PCM P0340 History
PCM P0452 History
PCM P0562 History
PCM P0563 History
PCM P0601 History
PCM P0621 History
PCM P1107 History
PCM P1189 CURRENT
PCM P1571 History
PCM P1634 History
PCM U1040 History
PCM U1066 History
PCM U1096 History
RFA B1327 History
RFA U1305 History
RIM B1327 History
RIM B1328 History
RIM U1255 History
RIM U1065 History
NO RSS CODES
SDM B0065 History
SDM B0077 History
SDM B0078 History
SDM U1016 History
SDM U1040 History
SDM U1096 History
SDM U1064 History
TTM B1982 History
TTM B1983 History
TTM U1016 History
VTD B1009 History
VTD B1327 History
VTD B2734 History

all codes are there, ho p can get the help from you guys and sorry about posting the codes three days latter. Thanks

----------

MoistCabbage said:
I pulled all codes on my caddy...

----------

Yaemish said:
Pull the codes. Don't waste money on something that is probably diagnosed by codes you can pull yourself. I'm going to take a shot in the dark, but it is probably your ignition switch causing the problem. Let's see those codes though.
I pulled the codes

----------

Ranger said:
Why don't you pull your own DTC's and see what you come up with. That might tell you (and us) what the problem is for free.
Well ranger I did pull my own codes....

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
There are links in the posts above to the meanings of the codes as no one has all them remembered. Start with the current codes.
Damn that's alot of codes BTW.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rodnok01 said:
There are links in the posts above to the meanings of the codes as no one has all them remembered. Start with the current codes.
Damn that's alot of codes BTW.
Sorry about that, I just my caddy a week ago

----------

I now what what they mean, it's just I need help on getting my ABD and traction control light off......

·
Super Moderator
86,795 Posts
You might start by clearing those codes. Pull them again in a day or two to see what returned then post them AND their definitions. Codes are meaningless without them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You might start by clearing those codes. Pull them again in a day or two to see what returned then post them AND their definitions. Codes are meaningless without them.
I was going to clear them today, but i was saying to myself lets see what happens when i post them first, but ok i will

·
Super Moderator
86,795 Posts
WAAAAAY too many codes there to even consider AND most are historical. They may be from low battery voltage or pulling battery power. That's why I said clear 'em and start fresh.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ranger said:
WAAAAAY too many codes there to even consider AND most are historical. They may be from low battery voltage or pulling battery power. That's why I said clear 'em and start fresh.
I plan on replacing my old battery with a duralast battery in a month or so. But I'm trying to think what brand of battery is good to use for a Cadillac.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
C1233 - Right Front Wheel Speed Circuit Open or Shorted

This is what triggers your ABS+T/C lights
Probably you get also the message “Speed limited to 90 MPH”

99% the issue is with the right front wheel hub.
Check is the connector is plugged to the wheel hub.
Check the resistance of the wheel speed sensor in the hub, should be 1030 ohms (+/-10% acceptable). A good resistance does not indicate the sensor is good, but an out of spec resistance indicate the sensor is bad 100%.
$200-$400 repair, depending on what parts you use and if you do the work yourself or pay somebody. I would suggest using AcDelco wheel hubs (you don’t have to change it again).

C1246 - Brake Lining Wear Circuit Open

The last person replacing the brake pads did not replaced the brake pad ware sensors (are suppose to be replaced), or the brake pads are gone and need to be replaced ASAP (including the sensors)
~$30 for sensors and ~$130 for the pads. If you pay somebody to do the brake job add another $200.

P0107 - Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) Sensor Circuit Low Voltage
Check if the MAP sensor is connected.
If connected then you need a new sensor. Not sure what’s the cost, under $100 anyway.

P1189 - Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) Switch Circuit
THIS IS BAD!!!!!!
Have you ever seen the oil light on?
Have you ever seen the “Engine oil low pressure” message?
DO NOT start the car anymore until you figure out what’s wrong (definitely don’t rev it).
Do you have oil in the car?
Is the oil filter OK?
Any knocks (funny noises) when the engine is running?
The sensor is know for going bad but DO NOT assume that! You can totally destroy the engine in seconds if you run it with no oil pressure.
Check your oil level; check the sensor wiring, measure the oil pressure (you need a special gage). If you need to get the car to a mechanic better tow it.

You do have a concerning long list of history codes...I would spend time and find the definitions for all and see if there is a pattern.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
N*Caddy said:
P1189 - Engine Oil Pressure (EOP) Switch Circuit
THIS IS BAD!!!!!!
Have you ever seen the oil light on?
Have you ever seen the “Engine oil low pressure” message?

Thanks for the help* N*Caddy. But the oil light or the engine oil low pressure light has not come on yet. But my caddy is making this funny noise as I start to drive trying to get up to speed and slowing down. But my Service Engine Soon light is on.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
The engine light is on because of the MAP code NOT because of the Oil Pressure issue. And I mentioned OIL LIGHT not service engine light.
I hope you understand the severity of a low oil pressure situation. Could be nothing (just an electric glitch from the sensor or wiring) but could also be a real low oil pressure situation. Is pretty much the worst thing it could happen to the engine.
I just checked what this code is about. Basically doesn’t tell you the oil pressure is low, it tells you the oil pressure circuit is NOT OPERATIONAL. So you don’t know if the oil pressure is good or bad.
Here is what the FSM has to say about it:

The engine oil pressure switch is a normally closed switch that opens with the proper oil pressure. The PCM applies ignition voltage to the oil pressure signal circuit through a pull-up resistor. With the ignition switch turned ON, and the engine not running, the PCM should detect a low signal voltage input. With the engine running, the pressure switch opens, and the PCM should detect a high signal voltage input. The PCM checks the state of the engine oil pressure circuit with the ignition switch turned ON, and the engine turned OFF. If the PCM detects a high voltage input on the engine oil pressure signal circuit, DTC P1189 will set.
Conditions for Running the DTC
 ECT, or Starter Request DTCs are not set.
 The starter request (ignition switch in the crank position) has not been activated for this key ON ignition cycle.
 The engine coolant temperature at the last key OFF was above 80°C (176°F).
 The engine coolant temperature at the current key ON is 10°C (18°F) cooler that the engine coolant temperature at the last key OFF. OR The amount of time between the last key OFF and the current key ON is more than 4 minutes.
Conditions for Setting the DTC
 The PCM detects a high voltage input on the engine oil pressure signal circuit.
 The condition exists for at least 5 seconds.
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
 The PCM will not illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).
 The PCM will store the conditions present when the DTC set as Fail Records data only. The information will not be stored as Freeze Frame data.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
 A History DTC will clear after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles have occurred without a malfunction.
 The DTC can be cleared by using the scan tool Clear DTC Information function.
Diagnostic Aids
If the condition is intermittent, refer to Intermittent Conditions .
You should also have a message about changing the brake pads. A set of brake pads is ~$130, if the rotors are scored then you are looking at another $300.

The noise you mentioned when speeding up/slowing down is it engine speed related or wheel speed related (or not related with these)?
If is kind of like a buzz (hum) and you are accelerating (or breaking) could be the BPMV pump modulating (for ABS or T/C) especially if this is followed by the ABS & T/C light turning on. Once the lights are ON you shouldn’t have the noise.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ranger said:
Be sure it is a group 79 battery with the side vents.
I'll be sure to remember that. Side note how can I get a book or anything with all codes that's also explains all the codes???

·
Super Moderator
86,795 Posts
A FSM by Helm Inc. is the only book I can think of that would have that, but you can use this link as an alternative. The difference is that the FSM explaines what sets the DTC and gives repair procedures. The other option is a subscription to Alldata (online version of the FSM).
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
N*Caddy said:
The engine light is on because of the MAP code NOT because of the Oil Pressure issue. And I mentioned OIL LIGHT not service engine light.
The noise you mentioned when speeding up/slowing down is it engine speed related or wheel speed related (or not related with these)?
If is kind of like a buzz (hum) and you are accelerating (or breaking) could be the BPMV pump modulating (for ABS or T/C) especially if this is followed by the ABS & T/C light turning on. Once the lights are ON you shouldn’t have the noise.
So in saying would Pep Boys would be an ok place for me to take MT to go and get all this fixed on her. Or take MT right to Cadillac

----------

Ranger said:
A FSM by Helm Inc. is the only book I can think of that would have that, but you can use this link as an alternative. The difference is that the FSM explaines what sets the DTC and gives repair procedures. The other option is a subscription to Alldata (online version of the FSM).
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html
I'm thinking about just taking MT to get a tune up at Massey Cadillac.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts