Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 99 STS. It has 65K miles. Lately I get an immediate and constant dash warning that states "service stability system".

I check the code and I see the following:

DTC Type = C1243

Description: DTC C1243 BPMV Pump Motor Stalled

Type = ABS

ABS/TCS Indicator: ABS/TCS

Does this mean that the ABS pump has failed? Has any one else experienced this? Could water cause an ABS pump to fail? Replacing an ABS pump is about $2K!

EDJ

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Typically I find that code following some major transmission work or work that required removal of the engine cradle. It's basically telling you that the pump motor was commanded to run but due to a circuit problem or a possible bad motor it wouldn't spin up. It does this by monitoring the voltage on the pump circuit.

You'll find a large ground connection on the front of the transmission bell housing down by one of the oxygen sensors, if this ground is not properly attached or left loose, or even has some corrosion buildup on it, it can set this code. The diagnostic tests have you remove the EBCM from the BPMV (basically you split the ABS unit in half) and hook up a special test harness and take some measurements. It could be in the EBCM or in the pump itself, but it's best to eliminate wiring problems first.

HTH

·
Registered
1999 Sedan DeVille, 4.6L Northstar
38 Posts
I just had an engine and tranny done on the car and now I found the code C1243. Did the wiring check out for you? I really need to find out something with this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts