Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if one could replace the ABS module himself?

Will disconnecting the battery be enough to while replacing the module?

Or would this mess the computer up by replacing this device?

It's a 90' cadillac Deville.

Anyone with knowledge on this ABS module will be graetly appreciated? thank you.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Easy

The ABS computer (ECBM) for your car is an aluminum box located in one of two places. Under the dash, in the center, behind the vent that carries air to the rear of the car (may be partially covered by a small flap of carpet). Or on the rear seat back/decklid accessabe through the trunk. It it very easy to swap the ECBM just disconnect the negative battery terminal unplug the old computer and install the new one. Leave the battery disconnected for 2 hours to allow the PCM to reset itself, this way it will more readily accept the new ECBM. If you buy a used computer get it from the same year or close and the same model car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Easy

Slick Black Cadillac said:
The ABS computer (ECBM) for your car is an aluminum box located in one of two places. Under the dash, in the center, behind the vent that carries air to the rear of the car (may be partially covered by a small flap of carpet). Or on the rear seat back/decklid accessabe through the trunk. It it very easy to swap the ECBM just disconnect the negative battery terminal unplug the old computer and install the new one. Leave the battery disconnected for 2 hours to allow the PCM to reset itself, this way it will more readily accept the new ECBM. If you buy a used computer get it from the same year or close and the same model car.

Thanks Slick Black Cad. I will take a look at it and see if it's something I can accomplish on my own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Slick Black Cadillac, if you are still around or to who maybe able to answer this question.

Most places want nearly $1200.00 to replace the ABS module and that's with a reconditioned one.
Others will order the module only thru a dealer and the cost is $2000.00.

I have picked up a reconditioned module for $300.00 and a mechanics shop wants $300.00 to install it.

My question is, Can I just replace it like you had said Slick Black Cadillac? Is it really that simple?

Is it really nesseacary for me to have to deplete the system pressure and thoroughly flushing the brake system before installing? Like the instructions in the box says which came with the ABS module?
I hope not, but thought I would ask before I jump into next week.

Hope someone can give me an answer either way.
Thanks,Rj

1 - 4 of 4 Posts