Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got new front pads, then drove my V for a bit, testing the brakes out, all seemed well; although they were a little stiffer than I like...new pads syndrome I believe.

A day later at 50mph heading at a red light they wouldn't stop very well, so I pushed harder...resulting in my brakes completing failing at 30mph. Made a right turn to avoid hitting people in the intersection, and slid into the median with my left front tire.

Towed it back to my mechanic and he said there are two ABS codes indicating that it failed and pushed the pedal against me...and that hitting the curb snapped the lower control arm, and damaged the trailing arm.

I have the oil temperature sensor problem, and was wondering if a grounding issue might cause ABS to fail...anybody have this happen before, or know why it would?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
316 Posts
Wow! I can't offer any technical advice, but I'm sure sorry about the failure. I'm so glad no one was hurt. I thought modern brakes were supposed to have some kind of mechanical fail-safe backup!

·
Banned
05 CTS-V
889 Posts
WOW that sucks man! sorry to hear that

·
Registered
Silver '05 V
1,238 Posts
I believe that fresh brake pads without the proper bedding technique can bond to the rotor, which would prolly kick on the ABS.

At least this gives you an excuse to upgrade suspension parts.

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Sounds to me like the brake system wasn't properly bled, and an air pocket caused a loss of pressure in the system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm very glad there were no injuries. I like the suggestion of suspension upgrades... :)

Sounds to me like the brake system wasn't properly bled, and an air pocket caused a loss of pressure in the system.
My brakes were still really stiff...I was under the impression an air pocket would cause squishy brakes. Could that be?

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
A casual review of the Service Manual indicates that most ABS-related DTCs will cause the EBCM to disable the ABS and TCS for the duration of the ignition cycle. In other words, the default reaction of the system to trouble is to disable itself rather than to prevent braking.

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,082 Posts
A casual review of the Service Manual indicates that most ABS-related DTCs will cause the EBCM to disable the ABS and TCS for the duration of the ignition cycle. In other words, the default reaction of the system to trouble is to disable itself rather than to prevent braking.

:headscratch: Agreed. The OP's description of the event, and then linking it to the ABS Control Module, doesn't seem to add up. I suppose anything is possible, however if there is an issue with the brakes, the default would have to be turn off the ABS, rather than stop the ability of the car to brake. The liability issues to the manufacturer would be beyond nuts, if they did that.

I'm thinking there was an installation issue.

-Chris

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
:headscratch: Agreed. The OP's description of the event, and then linking it to the ABS Control Module, doesn't seem to add up. I suppose anything is possible, however if there is an issue with the brakes, the default would have to be turn off the ABS, rather than stop the ability of the car to brake. The liability issues to the manufacturer would be beyond nuts, if they did that.

I'm thinking there was an installation issue.

-Chris
Yeah, and I'm thinking that in context of litigation there might me several, material, issues of fact.

·
Registered
Platinum 2004 CTS-V
4,914 Posts
Sorry that happened to you. Got some pics? Sounds like the install went south...something missing?

Tie rod damage I believe, but snapping the lower control arm?? Dayum!!! You must've hit pretty dang hard!
Also, if you hit only with your left FRONT tire, there would be any trailing arm damage, as those are only on the rear wheels.

Does your parking brake work?

I know it was in the heat of the moment and it's too late now, but downshifting next time (in this instance) to slow your speed down would've helped big time.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 2 codes that were in the PCM were C0252 and U1016. My mechanic is thinking maybe the ABS froze up during a cycle where it had the brakes released. I don't think I would have locked the brakes up though, so I'm not sure why ABS would be engaged in the first place.

Once it was up on the rack, it turns out nothing snapped, but the subframe shifted an inch or so, so it'll be sent to a frame shop to get moved back into position. As far as what I claimed went wrong, I may have just misheard\misstated since I'm a car newb. :banghead:

I was thinking it might be related to what heppened in this case, just the opposite..his brakes locked, mine wouldn't.

I wish I had thought about downshifting, it probably would have been enough to let me make the corner. I was just trying to figure out "Why aren't my brakes working!?"

I'll see if I can get some pictures up.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
The 2 codes that were in the PCM were C0252 and U1016. My mechanic is thinking maybe the ABS froze up during a cycle where it had the brakes released. I don't think I would have locked the brakes up though, so I'm not sure why ABS would be engaged in the first place.

Once it was up on the rack, it turns out nothing snapped, but the subframe shifted an inch or so, so it'll be sent to a frame shop to get moved back into position. As far as what I claimed went wrong, I may have just misheardmisstated since I'm a car newb. :banghead:

I was thinking it might be related to what heppened in this case, just the opposite..his brakes locked, mine wouldn't.

I wish I had thought about downshifting, it probably would have been enough to let me make the corner. I was just trying to figure out "Why aren't my brakes working!?"

I'll see if I can get some pictures up.
See attached.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts