Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a bunch of research to fix a couple issues I'm having with my 2002 Escalade and I'm seeking a bit of help.

My ABS kicks in at low speeds, which I believe is a wheel speed sensor issue. A known issue: Bulletin No.: 03-05-25-007D

I'm inexperienced but would like to try to fix this issue myself, hoping that it's just a rust/debris buildup and a sensor doesn't need replacing. I've found a nice set of instructions that seems like a somewhat universal guide for GMC trucks but before I get started I want to ask the experts if I need to be expecting anything different than what's listed in here http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29234

Also,
Once the wheel is off, remove the brake caliper by loosening the 18mm hex head or torx head bolts at the bottom and top back of the brake caliper. (GM originally designed the brake caliper mounting bolts as torx head bolts, but they were prone to have the head strip out during removal so they redesigned them as hex head bolts)
So what type of bolt will I be looking at? I'm starting completely from scratch, so I'll need to pick up or borrow pretty much all the tools that I'll need, so help there is appreciated. I'll need something for those bolts, and another to remove the sensor? At least I do have a drill that I could use to help clean the area, though I will need an attachment or something. Add some rust preventing paint and hopefully I'll be good to go. As long as the sensors aren't bad...Would there be any difference in driving symptoms if the sensor was bad?

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
You need a wheel hub socket to remove the nut holding it to the truck

The sensor is not hard to get to(though I don't know how it's held in place) clean it and the issue should go away but if not I recommend replacing the whole unit

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The hub needs to be removed as well? I was under the impression that only the caliper needed to be removed, but again, I don't know what I'm doing. Oh I see, I wasn't paying enough attention to the instructions, I see the rotor needs to come off too. I need something to remove that?

And what type of wrench do I want to most easily remove the caliper bolts? I've been reading that the front ones are different or are harder to remove.

Also found this video which seems to be helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld5-eoYGAiA

1 - 3 of 3 Posts