Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
99 STS, 94 SLS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's '99 STS is throwing an ABS 1243 Current code (along with an unrelated IBM 1344) and is shutting off ABS, Stability, and first gear.

I pulled the wheel, and the wiring looks secure and unmolested. It started out by just throwing codes occasionally over railroad tracks and other big bumps, but now is no longer intermittent. I can clear the codes and it throws it upon startup without moving the vehicle.

I have read that a new hub is required if the wiring is fine, since the sensor is built into it and not replaceable.

Is this fairly common, or should I check wiring more closely?

Thanks!

·
Registered
04 Deville, 11 DTS Premium, 00 Deville (sold), 02 Deville (sold)
2,688 Posts
Are you sure you got the code right?

C1243 = BPMV Pump Motor Stalled (Brake Pressure Modulator Valve)

C1234 = LR Wheel Speed Sensor open or shorted

·
Registered
99 STS, 94 SLS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm. You're right. I had a bunch of codes earlier and was sure one of them was the RR speed sensor, but now I see the only two codes are what I listed. So...I'm guessing it's wiring, since it was bumps that initially triggered the ABS and Traction lights, until it became permanent. Guess I'll go searching for the BPMV wiring...

·
Registered
99 STS, 94 SLS
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:

Well, the 1243 is not a RR sensor, I did not end up buying a bearing. It is a stalled pump, but I can reset the trouble codes and all lights go off when vehicle is sitting still, even in gear, brake on. But the moment it moves, the code resets, lights come on, etc.

Would that be caused by a wheel speed sensor, and how could that be given that it won't throw a code for it?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,106 Posts
After start, when the stick is placed in a gear and the car moves the BPMV/ABS pump does a prove-out. If the pump is stalled, you set a fault message and code.

The problem is not an easy or inexpensive fix, but it has been covered several times over the past 2 years, in here.

I think the system on your car is on the flat near the front inside of the driver's fenderwell.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
lol - which reminds me we have a good deal on some hub part numbers if anyone is interested

#88964168 (a very common hub for 2000-2005 GM vehicles, and even some 2006-2011 models)

The normal list price is $324 and some change, but we've got a super deal on a surplus batch. These are surplus I believe.

The special forum member price is $200 and if you buy two we'll throw a third in for free. You could use two and sell one to offset costs, or use one and sell two to get the first for free.
I've got 5 in stock right now and if there's interest I'll check on how many more are available. They guy I get them from buys hubs by the pallet-load.

There are other GM hubs available at steep discounts and with buy two get one free deals as well. Just ask!

(PS: Sub, where's a good place to post this as it's own post?)

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,106 Posts
lol - which reminds me we have a good deal ..............(PS: Sub, where's a good place to post this as it's own post?)
try creating a classified ad ^^^ with a couple of hub pics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts