Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:hmm:

I am putting on 18" rims on my CTS and someone told me that this affects the ABS braking system. Does anyone know anything about this???

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
That's simply not true! Heck, it's an option on the 2006 CTS. I've had them for over a year with no problems. I'm sure others will support me on that.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
It depends totally on the rolling circumference of the tire/wheel assembly.
It probably won't affect the ABS as much as it will the TCM/ECM because the computer is counting pulses per mile from the VSS. Changing the rolling circumference of the tire/wheel assembly changes the accuracy of the speedometer.

There are lots of tire size calculators out there that you can compare the tire size you have with the tire size you need in an 18" rim to achieve the same circumference.
www.1010tires.com comes to mind, I am sure there are more.
(hope that link is okay)
You'll have to go with a much lower profile tire if you go with a bigger rim.
Do some research and you should be okay.

·
Registered
27 Posts
;) I'm thinking of doing the same wheel size. But why do the research when we have the best CTS Brain Trust right here? I did research to find this forumn! I'm counting on you guys for ALL the answers!! LOL

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
If you keep the tire diameter close to the stock diameter, the car has no way of knowing what size the rim is. Many of us have increased diameter slightly and have zero problems. I've been running 245/45R18's (stock V size) and love them.

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
RobertCTS said:
That's simply not true! Heck, it's an option on the 2006 CTS. I've had them for over a year with no problems. I'm sure others will support me on that.
I had a heck of a time getting tire folks to replace our stock 225/55/16 RSAs with Michelin HydroEdges in 225/60/16 for the same reason. The guy finally did do it, but was sure it'd screw up the system & he grumbled throughout the entire installation. Now that they've been on nearly a year, he reluctantly agrees that it works...

The circumference/height is nearly identical to 245/45/18, the tire fills the wheelwell pretty well, & the HydroEdge is a great all-purpose touring tire - quiet, great wet & dry traction, excellent handling & a life expectancy to die for - for those not too concerned with extracting the last tiny bit of cornering performance...

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
wait4me6920 said:
I had a heck of a time getting tire folks to replace our stock 225/55/16 RSAs with Michelin HydroEdges in 225/60/16 for the same reason. The guy finally did do it, but was sure it'd screw up the system & he grumbled throughout the entire installation. Now that they've been on nearly a year, he reluctantly agrees that it works...

The circumference/height is nearly identical to 245/45/18, the tire fills the wheelwell pretty well, & the HydroEdge is a great all-purpose touring tire - quiet, great wet & dry traction, excellent handling & a life expectancy to die for - for those not too concerned with extracting the last tiny bit of cornering performance...
Is that hydo tire look like two treads put together with a center channel for water removal?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts