Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to trade in my '09 GT-R for a 2012 or 2013 CTS-V. Two dealerships in my area each have 1 black/black with 6 speed available, same options on both.

Has anyone here leased their CTS-V? If so, what leasing company did your dealership work with? Any advice or leasing stories would be appreciated before I jump in head-first.

·
Registered
2018 CTS-V Black Raven, Carbon Package, Recaros
352 Posts
I leased my 2012 through Ally bank. When I leased mine back in May 2012 they had some pretty good lease rates. Where are you located? Just make sure you have enough miles up front because it's like 25 cents per mile over your alotment.

12,778 Posts
Skullbussa, welcome to the forum! I see the community is beginning to chime in with the feedback you're looking for, and it's great that you're considering a V. If you would ever like me to pass along each V's build sheet, so you can compare build options, then please let me know. I'm available via email at [email protected] for further assistance!

Best,

Katie
Cadillac Customer Service

·
Registered
None
525 Posts
Whatever you decide to do, don't put any money down. Don't even pay the taxes up front. If something happens to the car, that money is gone forever.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Sedan Black Raven 6 speed manual
404 Posts
I leased my Sedan through US Bank when they were running a special lease offer. I think it was a 3300 discount on the car if I remember correctly. My only beef was a 399.00 lease termination charge. I bought out the lease a couple months ago.

Whatever you decide to do, don't put any money down. Don't even pay the taxes up front. If something happens to the car, that money is gone forever.
If you plan on dumping the car at the end of the lease, I agree 100%. If you are leasing to get a lower payment and plan to roll it into a finance, putting money down lowers the residual if it is structured right. I knew I was going to buy my V so I put 10K down (trade) and it was applied directly to the residual. Instead of a 35K residual I had 25K so when I rolled into a finance deal, my payment remained low.

·
Registered
None
525 Posts
Mike02z said:
I leased my Sedan through US Bank when they were running a special lease offer. I think it was a 3300 discount on the car if I remember correctly. My only beef was a 399.00 lease termination charge. I bought out the lease a couple months ago.

If you plan on dumping the car at the end of the lease, I agree 100%. If you are leasing to get a lower payment and plan to roll it into a finance, putting money down lowers the residual if it is structured right. I knew I was going to buy my V so I put 10K down (trade) and it was applied directly to the residual. Instead of a 35K residual I had 25K so when I rolled into a finance deal, my payment remained low.
You have a good point, but you're still assuming the risk that the car will exist at the end of the lease. If it does, great. If it gets stolen or totaled in a crash, you have to eat the loss. I've been there and it isn't fun. Also, I've never owned a new car, I just like the new car experIence way too much so I never intend to keep them.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Sedan Black Raven 6 speed manual
404 Posts
I see where you are coming from and I had a total loss in a new (6 months old) leased car about 15 years ago. I put nothing down and had a high residual but a low monthly payment. What saved me was Gap insurance coverage. Whenever you lease a car it is a good idea to have this. If you destroy the car during the lease and you owe more than the car is worth, gap coverage will save your butt.

·
Registered
none
6 Posts

Money down will not lower residual. It will lower payment only. Miles per year would lower residual.

·
Registered
Founder, OBWC
572 Posts
I looked at leasing - and it's interesting... but you definitely pay a premium for the "New Car Experience."

There are a lot of low mile 2011, 2012's out there that have already taken the $20-30,000 depreciation hit. If you can settle for being the second owner, your payments are about the same but you own it in 4 or 5 years instead of leasing for 3 and having to buy out the lease for almost the same cost over another 4 years as buying used today. There's no guarantee interest rates will be anywhere this good in three years (if you want to finance the purchase, etc).

If anyone is going to lose $30K - I'd rather it be the other guy. :D

·
Registered
'13 V
379 Posts
Money down will not lower residual. It will lower payment only. Miles per year would lower residual.
That's what I was told and have read as well. Any money down at signing just lowers monthly payment cause it is applied to and lowers the total cap cost. Has no effect on residual.

·
Registered
none
6 Posts
That's what I was told and have read as well. Any money down at signing just lowers monthly payment cause it is applied to and lowers the total cap cost. Has no effect on residual.
I've done auto finance for 20 years at what some call a stealership.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,183 Posts
HOW TO FIGURE VEHICLE LEASE PAYMENTS

This is merely “For Example” – plug in your own values…

Take the Cap Cost (selling price) = $ 26,915.00
Subtract the Residual (55%) = $ 14,803.25
Remainder = $ 12,111.75

Now, take the remainder ($12,111.75) and divide by the Term, or length, of the lease…$12,111.75 divided by, say, 36 (months) = $336.44.

Next, add together the Cap Cost plus the Residual, $26,915.00 + $14,803.25 = $41,718.25.

Multiply by the Money Factor, always a ".00xxx" number. If they don't tell you the Money Factor, get the interest rate and divide by 24 (24 is always a constant). If interest is 6%, then divide by 24 to get .25, then put it after the .00 to get the Money Factor. Now we have .0025 as our Money Factor.

Take the above mentioned $41,718.25 x .0025 to get $104.30.

Add the $104.30 + $336.44 and get $440.74. Figure sales tax ($440.74 x 7% = $467.18) and this is your monthly lease payment.

The money factor is used to figure out the interest rate on a car’s lease. Multiply that number by 2,400 to get the interest rate. So, with a .003 money factor, the interest rate is 7.2%. The residual value is the estimated value of the vehicle at the end of the lease term. Typically, you can purchase the vehicle at its residual value when the lease is up. (The industry’s bible for residual values is the Automotive Lease Guide’s Residual Percentage Guide; the figures can be on the low end and finance companies use this as a guide for setting prices.) Capitalized cost is the total amount that you’re financing, including the negotiated price of the car, all its options, fees and taxes; it should be under the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (MSRP). Finally, capitalized cost reduction is the amount of money you give to the dealer upfront, like a down payment, which is usually negotiable. Consumers should focus on getting a contract with the smallest money down and the lowest interest rate.

·
Registered
'12 White Diamond CTS-V Sedan, '10 Cyber Gray ZR1
265 Posts
I leased my '12 V. It's a work car, so I didn't mind the lease so much. It was through US Bank. 36 month lease at $738/month with $6k down. 15k miles/yr. I drive it like it's a leased car too and it's been fun.

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,183 Posts
Tough life to have a V as a work car! Enjoy it!!!

·
Registered
2018 CTS-V Black Raven, Carbon Package, Recaros
352 Posts
My 2012 was leased through Ally. 36month $698/month with $1500 down 12k miles a year.

·
Registered
'13 V
379 Posts
When quoting lease numbers guys its always helpful to know MSRP, sale price, miles per year, and length of lease so we are comparing apples to apples.

·
Registered
None
525 Posts
When quoting lease numbers guys its always helpful to know MSRP, sale price, miles per year, and length of lease so we are comparing apples to apples.
I agree. Some of these lease numbers seem a bit off. Here is what we need to know, all numbers taken directly from the lease agreement:

1. Cap Cost
2. Cash down or other costs paid up front
3. Residual Value
4. Lease Term

Money factors is not quoted in these agreements! I don't understand why this is not a requirement but it is not.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts