Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to buy this 91 Deville on auction in a few hours. Can anyone tell me what I can expect in terms of problems and disapointments. I used to drive a 97 Concours (so I am familiar with the N*) and I drive a Mark VIII now. Here are the specs:

1991 Sedan Deville
California Car
1 Owner
Black on Black (good cosmetic condition)
98,000 miles
4.9L V8

Is $2500 worth it? Or would you rather spend $4800 for a 94 Concours N*, three owners, white/beige leather 103,000miles? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
The 2500 is probably worth it..... Hopefully its been maintained...... And if its in good condition, id say its worth it.... Over the 94 deville.....

A 3 owner car is kinda scary, you dont really have a clue what has been done to it!!!!

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
I think it is worth it alot..... for many reasons that you have proabally already read up on......

Did you win the auction?

·
Registered
2 Posts
miishmiish said:
I am about to buy this 91 Deville on auction in a few hours. Can anyone tell me what I can expect in terms of problems and disapointments. I used to drive a 97 Concours (so I am familiar with the N*) and I drive a Mark VIII now. Here are the specs:

1991 Sedan Deville
California Car
1 Owner
Black on Black (good cosmetic condition)
98,000 miles
4.9L V8

Is $2500 worth it? Or would you rather spend $4800 for a 94 Concours N*, three owners, white/beige leather 103,000miles? Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Stop I bought a 91 in 92 and it has been nothing but trouble. I'm a hard head and just keep putting money in her, what a mistake, It's a beaufull car but it's not worth the ground it sits on. Having Tranny problems now and even the dealership can't fix it. It's been out twice in the last three months. Here's a laugh trade in value 1500 I just put 500 in tires. I'm just sick for a 35,000 + car I thought would last like the old Caddys. All the service was done buy the book. NEVER AGAIN....

·
Registered
2001 Deville; 1990 Brougham
1,519 Posts
Damn lemons.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i say go for it.. i have a 91 deville... i've only had a few problems but that was all minor... my car has 208k miles on it and still runs strong..nothing but good remarks from me on them

·
Registered
2001 DHS, 1996 DeVille, 1993 Deville, 1989 Seville
46 Posts
Things you will definately need regardless of how well you maintain this car:
CV joints/drive axles, and front struts every 100k (both expensive at dealer). My 93 has 160k, and runs as smooth as it did new. Changed the oil every 3000 to 4000 miles, and changed the coolant every other year. Also the radiator fan motors, and the waterpumps don't last forever. I've had really good luck with this car, and I hope you will too with yours if you decide to go with it.

PS, I live in the desert and drive 100 miles a day round trip, and during summer months in 110 degrees sometimes up to 120.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The only real problem I ever had with my used '91 I caused myself so I can't fault the car. If it is really a first class car, $2500 is not too much. It should give long, dependable service. I had occasion to drive a '92 with 160,000 miles on it from LA to Denver and it didn't use any oil that I could detect. If the car has been maintained, hi milage is not nearly the issue it used to be. That said, I now have a '94 Concours and would not step back willingly. The '94 is a completely different car and the Northstar is awesome. I gave $4000 for it last year and I think I got a better than average deal on it.

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
go for the concours. All the way. Don't bother with anything before 94
go to carfax.com if your nervous about purchasing it

·
Registered
06 DTS Luxury II-?, 98 Eldorado-Crimson Pearl
512 Posts
NCGNETO90 said:
I have never really understood what makes a car a lemon. Can someone inform me on it?
A "lemon" is a car that is always "sour". No matter what u do, there is always something going wrong with it. To be a lemon it has to be one thing after another breaking down from day 1 of purchase date. It usually refers to brand new cars. As used cars can be lemons too but for extenuating circumstances, ie. bad driver, no regular maintenance., etc... Also, just because one specific car is a lemon, doesn't necessarily mean all cars of that model in that same year are. Just a unique and damning experience. :annoyed: I've personally experienced it with the only FORD I ever bought, an 88 Ford Taurus.:rant2: I've had toyotas and gms and never any lemons there. My 91 Caddy I've had for three years and replaced a few minor things, BTW it has 206,000 miles on it too! Been very pleased with Caddys.:worship:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts