Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was told that if you press the break and gas at the same time yer back breaks will disengage and spin.... i'm new to this, but i would like to try if its not gona distroy my car... friend dosnt think i can do it, curious if i can or if its worth it?

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
My 78 FWB will not squeal the tires. It might if it didn't die when I floor it when stopped, I still haven't checked the fuel filter on that issue..

My friends Saturn can only peel out he goes about 5mph in reverse, then shifts to drive and floors it. Can't be good for the transmission, so I haven't tried it.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
It's called "power-braking" and YES, it can produce huge clouds of smoke from the rear tires. As long as the rear brakes aren't adjusted too well, plant your left foot on the brake pedal, put the right foot to the floor on the gas pedal, and as the revs climb, let up slightly on the brake pedal until the rear wheels start to spin. Once they start spinning, give the engine a chance to build some torque and then let up on the brake pedal. As long as the car is tuned half-way decent and the rear brakes aren't too tight, you'll be melting tires in no time. ;)

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
I gotta try that........ Stupid LSD!!!!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
interesting, might have to try it, but is this gona eat up my tires/breaks/trany? and i have also heard of people using bleach to slide on.... ??

·
Registered
1993 Sixty Special
44 Posts
Yeah, it's cool to do, and YES it can break stuff on your car, I've seen it done many a time. but remember this, your doing it in a cadillac, it was NOT made to that, a mustang, corvette, chevelle, gto, etc yeah.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
No..... You WILL eat tires though....... And if your tranny is weak, it could be its farewell to you also.......

·
Registered
989 Posts
davesdeville said:
My 78 FWB will not squeal the tires. It might if it didn't die when I floor it when stopped, I still haven't checked the fuel filter on that issue..

My friends Saturn can only peel out he goes about 5mph in reverse, then shifts to drive and floors it. Can't be good for the transmission, so I haven't tried it.
Exactly what I would say.

Using bleach just spins the tires, it doesn't prevent eating up the tires or anything. the only thing it'll hurt is brakes and tires if you do it a lot.

·
Registered
06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS
754 Posts
Personally, I would NEVER subject my car to such abuse ;)

Oh yeah!!! Remember to disable the traction control!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I thought that model was a front-wheel drive
As for power-braking one up, if it wouldn't spin from a dead stop by pressing the throttle down 3/4 without using the brakes I'd be looking for a little old lady who needed to go to church on Sundays and grocery shopping a couple of times a week. I don't do it that often but every now and again I run across someone who thinks my Caddy is a lard bucket. I do a respectable 14.8 quarter mile. It won't blow the doors off a 'Vette but it seems to impress most people (Meself included).

·
Registered
04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
433 Posts
Me neither!!!!

(I would like to note that this pic was taken pre-posi install)

ssstealth said:
Personally, I would NEVER subject my car to such abuse ;)

Oh yeah!!! Remember to disable the traction control!!!

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
wanzewurld said:
I thought that model was a front-wheel drive
As for power-braking one up, if it wouldn't spin from a dead stop by pressing the throttle down 3/4 without using the brakes I'd be looking for a little old lady who needed to go to church on Sundays and grocery shopping a couple of times a week. I don't do it that often but every now and again I run across someone who thinks my Caddy is a lard bucket. I do a respectable 14.8 quarter mile. It won't blow the doors off a 'Vette but it seems to impress most people (Meself included).
Yes, please tell me what you didi to get a 14.8.......

my mothers '89 Brougham (Olds 307) would shutter and almost stall out hen ran WOT, turns out the fuel filter was soo badley clogged, you couldn't blow through it, When I took it for a drive, I could actuall floor it and not get a huge hesitation/shutter/almost stall.....of course, even from a stop, the gutless 307 can't spin the tires, and compared to my car, it takes 1/2 mile to gain speed....... no passing power at all either, the speedometer in that car is broke (your doing like 45 it says 20) so I would never know how fast i am really going, but when it get's going, all 5000lbs are moving with you, and it really feels indestructable........... oh, and the steering on that thing is sooo frigign light, I was turning the wheel aorund sharp corners with just my pinky........ the car really needs a built 350 in it. The car has like 145k miles on it, engine tired and alot of other problems, rust is starting to show up here and there, the paint is in bad shape etc....... it's a nice car becuase it is custom gold edition, has the huge brass grill that is really imtimidating, has EVERY extra option available (including alarm, remote door unlock, Astroroof etc....) and the tranny was rebuilt not too long ago, it realy kills me to see the car getting worse and wrose, the driver seat is all torn up (leather) and like I said, the paint is bad and rust is starting to become a problem now...but now I have my own car to worry about, although I'd love to restore that car up nice someday and drop a built 350 in.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Since i am still under warranty i may play with this a bit, but with the big brake install i may have a little too much grip, what do u think?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nutrual + gas --> drive = peel out?

if you couldnt undersand that might it be easyer to put car in nutrual, floor it, pop it into drive? or tat going to blow up my transmition?

i tried break + gas a few times kida, never really got anywhere

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Seems like it would just stall the engine. But maybe that's just my engine..

Anyway, yeah our 78 fleetwoods just don't have the power to peel out with the brake/gas idea. But it sure does provide for a better launch. In fact I'm pretty sure I can beat my friends Saturn with it now, as long as he doesn't find out about it.

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
141 Posts
davesdeville said:
Seems like it would just stall the engine. But maybe that's just my engine..

Anyway, yeah our 78 fleetwoods just don't have the power to peel out with the brake/gas idea. But it sure does provide for a better launch. In fact I'm pretty sure I can beat my friends Saturn with it now, as long as he doesn't find out about it.
If you can't do a real nice burn-out with 425 inches of cast iron there is really something wrong. You should be getting rubber all the way to at least 40 mph. Some of those old 425 engines made over 400 HP and 400 ft lbs of torque.

If it were me, I would put in a high-stall (3500+ rpm) torque convertor behind that 500 before you install it. Also, if you have a chance to change to some sportier gears while it is dissasembled, that would help alot. 3:70 or 4:10 gears would really get that thing off the line. If you could bump up the compression ratio to at least 9 that would add some fun. There are some good aftermarket intake manifolds for those 500 ci engines. You do know that 500 cubic nches is aproximately 8.5 Liters. That dwarfs the 1.8 or 2 Liters in your friends Saturn.

Jon
96STS
67 Olds Toronado 425
97 Blazer (H.O. Police Package)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Wibble said:
Nutrual + gas --> drive = peel out?

if you couldnt undersand that might it be easyer to put car in nutrual, floor it, pop it into drive? or tat going to blow up my transmition?

i tried break + gas a few times kida, never really got anywhere

Yeah, that's not good for the tranny at all.

·
Registered
989 Posts
jonrodman said:
If you can't do a real nice burn-out with 425 inches of cast iron there is really something wrong. You should be getting rubber all the way to at least 40 mph. Some of those old 425 engines made over 400 HP and 400 ft lbs of torque.

If it were me, I would put in a high-stall (3500+ rpm) torque convertor behind that 500 before you install it. Also, if you have a chance to change to some sportier gears while it is dissasembled, that would help alot. 3:70 or 4:10 gears would really get that thing off the line. If you could bump up the compression ratio to at least 9 that would add some fun. There are some good aftermarket intake manifolds for those 500 ci engines. You do know that 500 cubic nches is aproximately 8.5 Liters. That dwarfs the 1.8 or 2 Liters in your friends Saturn.

Jon
96STS
67 Olds Toronado 425
97 Blazer (H.O. Police Package)
I think you're forgetting that it's a '78 and it's smogged up the butt, so it doesn't have that much power and it's a heavy car. But yeah, the smog on those cars kill it to almost no power.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts