Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Fleetwood Brougham, 66 Fleetwood
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where to get a cd deck kit that fits it? Everywhere I go they tell me I'll have to get a specially custom made one, because they don't make ones that fit.

·
Registered
04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
433 Posts
lacmang said:
Does anyone know where to get a cd deck kit that fits it? Everywhere I go they tell me I'll have to get a specially custom made one, because they don't make ones that fit.
There are a couple Double DIN radios that will fit it. But they are not direct bolt ins, so technically, they are right. ;) I know Bill Sadler has a Clarion Double DIN in his 94.

No one makes a dash kit for it either. But, you can use the American International pn GMK-420 available at Shortcut City (Circuit City) and make it fit. Depending upon the depth of the head unit you choose, you may need a spacer or two to space the radio up off the kit. You will also need to modify (meaning, cut apart and destroy :)) the stereo pocket inside the dash to allow another 3/4" of depth. It's a bit of work, but well worth it, and that kit I mentioned will work well.

You will also have to rewire all of your speakers and power, ground, & ignition, as no one makes a harness for it either. ;) The stock head unit is just a control face for the actual meat and potatoes of the system in the trunk.

I've had 2 different aftermarket single DIN radios in my car using that kit. A Kenwood and an Alpine. The Kenwood fit much better as the unit was about a 1/2" shallower than the Alpine.

You can see the Alpine mounted in this pic:

And a not so clear shot of the Kenwood which is a better shot of the mounting kit:

Sorry I didn't have anything better, but I'm at work and can't post a pic, I just have to go by memory of what I have hosted... ;)

....or you could save yourself a whole lot of trouble and just install an RF mod CD changer. ;)

Hope that helps you out!

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
Now I'm glad I didn't go thru with buying that Fleetwood. I just assumed that since it was 8 years old that by now Crutchfield would have dash adapters and wiring harnesses for it.

I have a pretty nice set-up in my Prelude and I had planned to transport it. Sounds like it would've been a lot of work.

·
Registered
53 Eldo, 54 CDV, 74 FWB 96 FWB (sold),1998 STS(sold), 03 ESV
755 Posts
Just get a factory CD radio off eBay. That's what I did.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. A friend of mine used to install stereos and thinks he figured out what to do, and I'll a probably put a equalizer under it to make up for the extra space below the pioneer deck I have.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
that seems very strange that there is no kit or harness for it.... I know there is one for the '87 and simliar Brougham becuase a familey member has an older Alpine deck in his car....

....for what it's worth, my DeVille was pretty easy, the install kit fits great, adn the harness works fine also, I have an Alpine CDA-9807, fit's great.......

·
Registered
Fleetwood Brougham 1995
521 Posts
I don't like how those stereo faces look inside any Cadillac. It doesn't go with the car at all.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I'm with you. And BTW, nice to see my FAVORITE avatar back! Sorry but I think I like your FACE better than your BUTT!
Maybe I'm just getting old! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Night Wolf said:
that seems very strange that there is no kit or harness for it.... I know there is one for the '87 and simliar Brougham becuase a familey member has an older Alpine deck in his car....
It could be that the older Broughams use a more standard size radio. The 1990-1996 ones had a stereo that was unique to them. It's bigger then the normal size ones.

SupaFly I agree with you. I think it depends on what the rest of the dash looks like and how well the radio actually fits in the hole. The only thing I don't like about the stock radio is how you're only limited to the 5 settings, but being able to play whatever I want on it more then evens it out :D

·
Registered
06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS
755 Posts
This is how a double-din unit fits in the dash. The opening that GM provides is actually larger than even the standard double-din.

·
Registered
Fleetwood Brougham 1995
521 Posts
I like that stereo face, but I'll stay with the no-frills, stock one.

I was only using that avatar to be a ballbuster (no pun intended).

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I like the Double-DIN look but REALLY hate the look of the single with an adapter plate around it. Of course that's a lot more common since EVERYBODY makes single DIN size radios and therefore the prices are much cheaper.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Katshot said:
I like the Double-DIN look but REALLY hate the look of the single with an adapter plate around it. Of course that's a lot more common since EVERYBODY makes single DIN size radios and therefore the prices are much cheaper.
that is why you put an EQ below the single din, or a 6 disc changer, xm, etc. Fill the space. Put buttons there, lights have fun

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I still haven't had my stereo installed I've decided to have it custom built into my glove compartment instead.

·
Registered
06 STS-V, 94 Fleetwood TS
755 Posts
Now if you want to install a PS2, I have seen one installed PERFECTLY into the passeger side air bag cavity.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts