Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
2016 ELR
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's one new feature I guess all new cars are getting that have power windows! It happens to me at least once in every car I've had over the last 10 years I think...

I had to crawl around under a stage in church yesterday working on wiring. Kinda seedy neighborhood. It's really crappy out, raining all day. I finish and come out to my lovely ELR and the trunk is popped and the windows all the way down. AAUGHHH! :mad2: ! I thought someone busted my window out and then popped the trunk looking for valuables. Lots of water inside... crap I was p.o'ed

I never even thought about it but yes the ELR is no exception, hold down that unlock button for 5 seconds and all the windows roll down. I guess I laid on the key just right to do that as well the trunk unlock. It always happens when it's raining of course..:canttalk: Interestingly enough I was at least 125' away from the car when it did that!

I'll remember now, but I hate that feature. I never used it once in any of the cars I had. If I had indeed wanted to use it, the second I did there would be some jerk tossing in a beer can or something in my front seat. So i RTFM again and there it was... but it does say that a Cadillac tech can disable it so I'm gonna do just that at my earliest convenience! Luckily after cleaning up the tidepool in my car, it seems like nothing happened, all good again and the Alcantra dried up nicely.

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's a terrible and funny story all at the same time brother! News is that can be disabled. Don't have instructions handy but you can Google it and a dealer can definitely do it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
Disable it!

When I got my XTS, it was set on auto lock.
Not only was it annoying, but I was 100% sure it was going to lock the fob in the car at some point.
I disabled it ASAP.

This is almost certainly something you can DIY in a few minutes.

·
2016 ELR
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I will soooo disable the 5 second window down deal. It's funny what features that become annoying to some people. Personally I LOVE the auto lock feature because I'm the worst for remembering to lock my car only to have some jackass get in my car during the night and steal whatever they can. It's happened to me a few times - I mean the ONLY night I leave my car unlocked it's been gone through :mad2:. The auto lock feature I think is the first time I've seen that on a car, at least any of mine, but I really like it!

The religious wars start with the auto/start/stop (yes the ASS system), in ICE cars. On other forums like the Fpace forum that one is a for sure love it/hate it deal. I personally hated it the first time I ever encountered it on a BMW something or rather. It was obnoxious and very noticeable. I was predispositioned to hate it on the Jag but it won me over because it's quiet and well done, and it definitely saves gas when you're at long lights and lines at the coffee shop. But others disable it promptly. That being said, we had a lot of problems with it working and then not working (yes a lazy ASS problem), and then only after 4 times to dealer and company protocols did they finally figure out it was a bad battery all along... :bigroll:

·
Registered
165 Posts
I personally hated it the first time I ever encountered it on a BMW something or rather. It was obnoxious and very noticeable. I was predispositioned to hate it on the Jag but it won me over because it's quiet and well done, and it definitely saves gas when you're at long lights and lines at the coffee shop.
I've also been in a BMW with a sucky start-stop.
But the one in a Buick LaCrosse was nearly imperceptible.
They're definitely not all created equal.

·
2016 ELR
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a 2011 Buick LaCrosse and at the time, that year did not have ASS. But man that was a great car! Over the 39 months I had it, zero problems. I tried to buy it but the leasing company was Ally bank and it was like pulling teeth to buy the car. I finally gave up, and turned it in. Then I decided to get the i3.

We had a 2013 Buick Enclave too - same thing, excellent car, zero problems until my wife decided she had to have something a little smaller and sportier - along came the SRX.

the one cool thing about GM products is that ALL those cars had sliding window visors, unlike any of the foreign cars.... The Sun is always in that ONE spot where it fries the side of your eye between the (non sliding) visor and B pillar... :thehand:

·
Registered
424 Posts
I love the remote vent feature and use it all the time in the summer to cool off the car as I walk across the parking lot. Even if you never plan to use it, disabling the feature still doesn't stop you from unlocking the doors, popping the trunk, setting off the panic alarm…I'd just try to remember to take the keys out of your pocket if you're going to be doing something like that. I think minimizing the number of keys attached to the fob (and not keeping other items in the same pocket) would probably help, too.

·
2016 ELR
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I love the remote vent feature and use it all the time in the summer to cool off the car as I walk across the parking lot. Even if you never plan to use it, disabling the feature still doesn't stop you from unlocking the doors, popping the trunk, setting off the panic alarm…I'd just try to remember to take the keys out of your pocket if you're going to be doing something like that. I think minimizing the number of keys attached to the fob (and not keeping other items in the same pocket) would probably help, too.
It's always great to have options and choices. Great that someone likes that feature, and the same as me loving the auto-lock feature and someone else doesn't. What should be standard is having all the on/off choices right there on vehicle settings like most of the other options are. I also wish I could turn down the chime volume a bit more, and change honks to muted honks like when you plug in your charge cable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
Deafsoundguy