Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been a scratch over a year since I purchased my car, so I thought I’d share some thoughts after a year of ownership. Mine is a 2009 I bought last January, used with 5000 gentle miles.

My CTS-V has been exactly what I expected it to be – fast, loud, and monstrous. Moving to a 4-door sedan from my BMW coupe was a wise move. There’s no more bitching about the tiny back seat. The gas mileage is poor, but I knew that going in. I’m averaging about 13.5 mpg in mixed driving. The power is, of course, fantastic. I have all the torque I need whenever I need it, no matter what gear I’m in. It is aesthetically delicious – far different than the stock CTS. The V body style lends it a very manly, sporty look. I catch people staring every single day.

I’ve put about 12k miles on it in a year, which is about what I expected. I drive it to work every day, and down to Tacoma from Redmond every couple of weeks. I’ve used it for a pair of road trips east of the mountains to visit family. It is a car that loves the open road more than anything. I can almost feel the frustration from it when confined to slow city streets. It’s favorite speed is right around 78mph, that sweet spot where it is gurgling along in sixth gear waiting to be cut loose. When I cut her loose, she goes from 78 to 108 frighteningly fast. It’s awesome.

The often wet Seattle-area roads haven’t been much of an issue, mainly because I’m not super aggressive on them. The traction control takes over and chides me when I try to do too much on slippery streets. It certainly doesn’t have the sure footing that my AWD BMW had, but that’s expected. When the streets are dry, I drive her like she’s meant to be driven. The ride, for all the engine and weight, is really smooth. It’s a wonderful cruising car.

There are a couple things that bother me though. There is a design flaw where the front wheels attach to the car, causing an annoying CLICK whenever I turn sharply. This is a widely-lamented issue. I took it to the dealer, and there’s nothing that can be done apart from regularly (like, every thousand miles or so in my case) removing the wheels and cleaning the mating surfaces. It’s a serious pain in the ass, and it irritates me to no end that Cadillac would release a car with this kind of flaw. On cold days the problem is even worse as the cold rubber crabs on the driveway as I back out, protesting with noticeable thumps. The dealer (and user forums) claim this is normal. I’ll probably be due for new tires sometime this year, so I’ll try a different brand and see if that helps the problem. It burns a quart of oil every three thousand miles, which is not unusual for a big V-8 engine. Apart from going to the dealer to have the clicking thing looked at, I’ve spent no money except for a pair of oil changes on maintenance. I’ve needed no repairs. Everything has been really solid.

I really miss having modern tech features. The phone setup and operation is clumsy and full of friction. I should be able to make a phone call by pressing a button and saying a name or pressing a number on the screen. In this car it’s press a button, say “hands free,” wait for a tone, say a name, get confirmation of the name, wait for a response, and then say “yes” to start dialing. There are so many better ways to handle it, as demonstrated by just about every other system out there. It won’t read my texts to me, either. There is no back-up camera. I can’t play music via bluetooth. The built-in hard drive for music storage is nice, but the interface is clumsy and non-intuitive. My 2007 BMW was far more sophisticated in the tech department. My same-age Ford F-150 has better tech.

That being said, I knew this stuff when I bought it, and I love my V. This is the first year in a long time where I’ve gone to car meets/shows and haven’t had car envy. I giggle every time I sit in it. The giggle never goes away. A car that leaves a smile permanently etched on my face is a car I’ll keep for a long time, and I don’t see my V getting sold any time soon. I may keep it forever.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Well said RobertR69! It's always a pleasure reading other forum members take on these great cars. Although not perfect, GM really hit the ball out of the park with the gen 2 V's.

·
Registered
2012 ctsv coupe
26 Posts
Congratulations and I'm glad to hear you love the car like the rest of us. As far as the "clicking", it's fairly common and the usual fix is: remove wheels, clean the wheel
and hub mating surfaces and torque the lug nuts to 140lbs. I used a little silicon before remounting. Now you can start thinking about your first round of mods. Enjoy

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
329 Posts
I'm with ya brother I dig my 09'sedan....but I have the itch to get into a V coupe.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V sedan, 69 Mustang Mach I
331 Posts
I think the real fix for the clicking is the new lug nuts, no clicking from mine at all.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Make sure you tighten as much as you can while the V is still in the air. Then torque em down hard on the ground.

As for tires, don't worry about getting a different brand. It's only the PS2 specifically. The PSS will be fine.

As for car envy, exotics don't interest me anymore. I just want another V...

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
329 Posts
I used anti seize on the face of the hub/rim torqued to 130ft lb. No clicking ever.

·
Registered
09 CTS-V Sedan
112 Posts
Nice narration. Make me feel warm and fuzzy about my 09 Sedan purchase. I had surmised just about all of the above. Having been converted to a Euro guy some many years ago, I also have enjoyed the techno marvel of those cars. After ownership of a 996 turbo, a SL65, a RS6, and so on, every time I sit in the V, I smile...must be the Recaros...

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,840 Posts
Finally, a realistic review of ownership! Quite refreshing to read. Thank you for sharing and continued enjoyment to you.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V (TR-6060, Black Raven/Ebony, Recaros, Ultraview)
1,654 Posts
ttboost said:
Nice narration. Make me feel warm and fuzzy about my 09 Sedan purchase. I had surmised just about all of the above. Having been converted to a Euro guy some many years ago, I also have enjoyed the techno marvel of those cars. After ownership of a 996 turbo, a SL65, a RS6, and so on, every time I sit in the V, I smile...must be the Recaros...
I love the sound when I crank it up in a parking garage. I set off someone's motion detector alarm once. Ha haa!

·
Premium Member
16 Phantom Gray V, 14 Silver Coast Metallic CTS4
1,360 Posts
I think the real fix for the clicking is the new lug nuts, no clicking from mine at all.
Even with the new lug nuts, I had to clean and torque the wheels after about a year. No big deal as it gives me a chance to get all of the brake dust out of the nooks and crannies that are unreachable during a normal wash.

·
Registered
2009 cts-v
968 Posts
BTW, great write up. Noticed you mention it burns a quart of oil in 3000 miles. That surprises me because I have an 09 with mileage comparable to yours and it uses maybe a 1/4 of a quart in 5000 miles. Wondering if you may have a leak somewhere ( I know there a TSB on leaky rear main seal ).

·
Registered
'14 CTS-V LongRoof; '16 ATS-V Sedan,' 04 Trailblazer 4x4; '10 CTS LongRoof gone but never forgotten
14,143 Posts
So far I love my V as well.

As far as oil consumption goes, Car and Driver reported in their long term Porsche Cayman S test that they have oil problems. Porsche told them that oil consumption on the high end is 1.6 quarts per every 625 miles or so. How's that for German engineering?!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts