Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This hasn't already been posted here. Has it? It's messy and difficult to read. I'll clean it up later. It's a reply from here:
http://backfires.caranddriver.com/f...p-convertible-to-slot-between-the-ats-and-cts

The Car and Driver source is WRONG. As a member of the Cadillac R&D Team, the car will be an ATS Convertible based on the ATS. What's new is that we have decided to change the Cadillac nomenclature. The ATS Coupe (ATC) will not be a rival to the Audi A5 at all. For instance, The range will include the ATS (Sedan), and the ATC (coupe & Convertible variant). The CTS (sedan) and the next CTS Coupe will become the ETC. No convertible version will be available, but its a beautiful design with a real functional panoramic roof.

I posted the future product range on another car enthusiast website so I'll paste it here: As a GM Insider I can share this with you all. Cadillac has a bevy of new products that will hit the market in the next couple of years: The products that you know of: 2013 ATS – A small 3 series fighter that will come in 3 variants that are confirmed. A sedan, coupe and canvas top convertible. A sport wagon may occur. The design however is done. An ATS-V model will also be available in sedan and coupe form only.

2014 CTS – Grows in sizes and becomes a direct BMW 5-series, Lexus GS, Mercedes E-Class, Hyundai Genesis competitor. The CTS will come in two forms The sedan and the coupe (however the coupe may not continue using the CTS moniker, and may evoke the spirit of the badge ETC (previously an Eldorado trim line). The V-Series companion will also be sold.

2014 FTS – Actually previewed in the XTS Platinum Concept. The XTS Platinum Concept will materialize as FTS model. The decision was made to change the moniker after the XTS Platinum Concept was previewed the Design to as a full-size model. That will compete with the Chrysler 300, Infiniti M, Hyundai Equus, and the upcoming Acura RL. This model will not get a V-Series companion. The FTS name was trademarked two years ago.

2016 XLS Flagship Model, A Four Door Ultra-Luxo sedan three design proposals exist, a traditional sedan, a four door coupe, and a four door shooting brake concept. However the model will NOT use a V-16 engine. But a turbo-charged V-8 is more likely. As of today all designs sit only four people. The price point is speculated to began around $80K. (This is the car that so many refer to as the Sixteen. This model will actually use the XLS moniker but is NOT THE the model previewed in the XTS Platinum Concept which will become the FTS) A V-series model is expected to compete with the Audi S8, and Merc’s S-Class and CLS AMG models.

2014 SRX will get a makeover.

2014 Escalade – The Escalade gets redesigned. The EXT version is dropped. The ESV model will continue. Previously scheduled for 2013 but was just pushed to 2014 last Monday.

Now here is what you DON’T know! - (Unnamed Cadillac) Subcompact / GM is surveying how the market will react to the MB A-Class and B Class variants, BMW’s i3, BMW sub-1 series model and Audi’s A1, a designed has been locked in for a subcompact model previewed in the 2010 Cadillac ULC.

(Unnamed Cadillac) Lambda-based Crossover, this will fit between the SRX and the Escalade. It will feature three rows of seating but will be car-based unlike the truck-based Escalade. A concept of this model will hit the auto show circuit next year. Cadillac Perimeter Concept. (Internally known as GM940)

2016 XLR. The XLR returns A new Halo Coupe has been sketched and is in the clay model phase. The model will compete with Audi’s R8, BMW’s i8, and Mercedes CL and SLS AMG models. The clay model sits next to the rough model of the C7 Corvette. The C7 will underpin the new XLR, but it will only come as a coupe model and not a convertible (as of yet). The model blends sport and luxury far beyond what the previous model could ever dream of.

So Cadillac will have 10 different models by 2018 bringing it to a full and credible line to become “The New Standard of the World”.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,120 Posts
Well, if I wasn't confused enough before, that conglomeration of alphabetic monikers certainly did it for me. :bonkers:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
While I can't confirm a few of the specifics, I can tell you that we were recently shown a timeline of the next decade with a large number of new or completely redesigned product coming through the pipeline.

Everything is subject to change of course, but GM has BIG plans for the Cadillac brand. As I've said here countless times, the groundwork is being laid with the SRX, CTS and ATS. What comes next is going to blow people's minds.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Good. I'm excited Tony.

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds great, Tony. Thanks for sharing that little teaser with us. :)

While I can't confirm a few of the specifics, I can tell you that we were recently shown a timeline of the next decade with a large number of new or completely redesigned product coming through the pipeline.

Everything is subject to change of course, but GM has BIG plans for the Cadillac brand. As I've said here countless times, the groundwork is being laid with the SRX, CTS and ATS. What comes next is going to blow people's minds.

·
Registered
2013 ATS Premium 3.6, 1989 Allanté
4,513 Posts
As a member of the Cadillac R&D Team, the car will be an ATS Convertible based on the ATS.
I HAAATTTEEE sentences like these, just because you say that doesnt mean its true. At least get the grammar right.

Thats like me saying "As the CEO of AT&T, the iphone sucks"

buuut, new xlr = :drool:

·
Registered
2015 XTS Premium
1,182 Posts
I like the plans, but not so much the names. Let's try and establish some consistency FOR ONCE!!! God...it's bad enough that we have to deal with this three-letter naming scheme (I do like it to a point) but PICK A GODDAMN NAME and STICK WITH IT!!! This is a hallmark of ALL OTHER LUXURY BRANDS...get it down cadillac. The 3, 5, and 7 series have been around forever, The C, E, and S classes have too. We need to establish a core line and LEAVE IT!! I'm fine with the S=sedan and C=coupe, but a CTS coupe should be a CTC then, not ETC (WTF?!). It seemed to me like they were headed in the right direction with ATS, then CTS, then XTS. But if the above info is correct (and it sounds very feasible), we've got a mess brewing AGAIN!

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
if the CTS coupe is an ETC, than the CTS sedan should be the STS which would make the wagon a ??? (I'd call it a biarritz EXT just for the hell of it.)
seriously, who comes up with these names? I hate alphabet soup, and changing the letters all around confuses the hell out of me. besides, who would want a rwd eldorado that looks like a CTS? I guess that would screw up the super long hood/ short decklid formula of the eldorado.

·
Registered
Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS
6,654 Posts
besides, who would want a rwd eldorado that looks like a CTS?
I would.
(and pretty much anyone who bought the CTS coupe)

cadillac kevin said:
I guess that would screw up the super long hood/ short decklid formula of the eldorado.
Decklids don't get shorter than this:

Chop off the ridiculous amount of overhang in the front and back of the ETC and the proportions aren't that different:

...and no modern car design is going to hang that much weight out past the wheels anymore.

*EDIT* I scaled and overlayed one on top of the other to illustrate:

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Oh good, my Escalade remains current for another year. Nothing else on that list really "mind blowing" save for the XLR and possibly the XLS.... but by 2016 things could be entirely different... that's a LONG ass way from now.

·
Registered
See my sig...
8,096 Posts
Oh, those two pics next to each other speak for themselves.

The Eldo is a Cadillac...the CTS is a stubby little Infiniti...

The CTS might as well have a hatchback.

·
Registered
2011 Crown Vic LX, 2009 Chevy Malibu 2LT
5,607 Posts
I thought BMW's 3, 5, and 7 series was pretty coherent and intuitive. What do have trouble "deciphering"?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts