Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1996 ESC
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok now .. what i know about the car .. i had it 3 years .. got it with 131000 miles on it ..it now has 224000 i moved down south .. all my family is still up north ; ( this is my NEED TO GO TO vehicle .. and every day driver ...soon as any thing goes wrong i fix it.. its the true Gotti 1996 Eldorado ...bose .. phone .. all the bells n whistles .. was made in Mich.. shipped to NY .. cost 40000 back in the day .. black on black .. you were a pimp or a gangster back then if you had one ; þ since i got the car ,, the air bag suspension was shot.. i actually seen dry rotted hoses down there .i had no room above the tire in the tire well ..22 bucks later .. 2 metal lifters aka spacers... on each side .. 90K miles later .. i can still fit my fist above the tire . I m about to get the codes TY for any help in advance... BRB yous been warned ; þ

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,849 Posts
ok now .. what i know about the car .. i had it 3 years .. got it with 131000 miles on it ..it now has 224000 i moved down south .. all my family is still up north ; ( this is my NEED TO GO TO vehicle .. and every day driver ...soon as any thing goes wrong i fix it.. its the true Gotti 1996 Eldorado ...bose .. phone .. all the bells n whistles .. was made in Mich.. shipped to NY .. cost 40000 back in the day .. black on black .. you were a pimp or a gangster back then if you had one ; þ since i got the car ,, the air bag suspension was shot.. i actually seen dry rotted hoses down there .i had no room above the tire in the tire well ..22 bucks later .. 2 metal lifters aka spacers... on each side .. 90K miles later .. i can still fit my fist above the tire . I m about to get the codes TY for any help in advance... BRB yous been warned ; þ
========================
since i got the car ,, the air bag suspension was shot.
our cars have regular COIL SPRING suspension - NOT air bag suspension -

the ELC - Electronic Level Control - system DOES incorporate air bladders built into the rear shocks -
these air bladders can be inflated/deflated to raise the BODY - in the rear - to maintain proper ride height -
and compensate for extra load in the back seat and/or trunk -
they have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the suspension -

.i had no room above the tire in the tire well ..22 bucks later ..
2 metal lifters aka spacers... on each side .

you have destroyed the springs -

if you want to make the car dependable again
you need to replace the rear springs and shocks -

SPRINGS -
I recommend MOOG 81005 - $76 - for the pair - with free shipping -

SHOCKS -
I recommend the MONROE 40046 - $119 each - with free shipping -

assuming the other components of the ELC system no longer function properly -
you'll need the MONROE AK29 - manual inflation air line kit - $15 -
this will allow you in inflate/deflate the air bladders - as required -
when/if the load in the back seat and/or trunk changes -

·
1996 ESC
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TYVM ,, I litteraly drove the last 20000 miles on them...I m a talk to my mechanic about the springs .. and to diagnose the air bags .. I do see dry rotted hoses down there,, is there any chance in haites .. it can be only the hoses and a simple fix ?? again TY

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,835 Posts
Which trim level of Eldorado - ESC or ETC? It makes a BIG difference in suspension parts advice - if you want to retain the original suspension as built.

For a 1996 the chances that the entire rear suspension is shot - springs, shocks, mounts, air compressor, air lines - are close to 100%. The first parts to go are the compressor/control head (it loads up with snot from heat of compression) followed by the shock air bladders.

As posted, you're dealing with two separate systems rolled into the shocks - the suspension system (which may be the hideously expensive impossible to find RSS active type) and the ELC (Electronic Level Control).

Look through the correct parts lists in www.rockauto.com.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,849 Posts
TYVM ,, I litteraly drove the last 20000 miles on them...I m a talk to my mechanic about the springs .. and to diagnose the air bags .. I do see dry rotted hoses down there,, is there any chance in haites .. it can be only the hoses and a simple fix ?? again TY
===================
the air bladders are rubber - they are not serviceable and can't be replaced -

the air lines are usually plastic or nylon - they don't dry rot -

rubber hoses might actually be fuel lines -

·
1996 ESC
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Which trim level of Eldorado - ESC or ETC? It makes a BIG difference in suspension parts advice - if you want to retain the original suspension as built.

For a 1996 the chances that the entire rear suspension is shot - springs, shocks, mounts, air compressor, air lines - are close to 100%. The first parts to go are the compressor/control head (it loads up with snot from heat of compression) followed by the shock air bladders.

As posted, you're dealing with two separate systems rolled into the shocks - the suspension system (which may be the hideously expensive impossible to find RSS active type) and the ELC (Electronic Level Control).

Look through the correct parts lists in www.rockauto.com.
Its not the ETC its the base 275 horses not te 300

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,835 Posts
OK - I added that (ESC - Eldorado Sport Coupe) to your username banner. Makes advice easier and more accurate when a member knows what they're working on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts