Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Escalade, 2015 SRX, 2017 XT5
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving to work in my 2015 Platinum this morning on a 16 degree day. I had the heated seats and steering wheel turned on, and everything was good. About ten minutes later I just happened to look in my rear-view mirror and think to myself, "Wow, the rear window is REALLY clean!". At first I thought the rear glass was missing because it was so clear, but the wiper blade was visible and I felt no cold draft. However, the more I looked in the mirror, things looked just too clear, so I turned down the radio and listened for road noise. I didn't hear any, so I then tried operating the rear wiper. It moved, but in a strange way. I pulled into the nearest parking lot, and got out of the vehicle to have a look. To my surprise the rear window was upright, yet the wiper was in a position where it would only be when operating, but never off/parked. This is a BIG problem because of the 2015 design, the wiper normally sits hidden under a lip on the rear hatch itself, and a rear wiper in this position prevents the rear window from being closed. I tried to move the wiper arm into its normal "stowed" position, but it would not move. I tried power-cycling it, but it would not return to its normal position. I tried removing the wiper blade itself (hoping I would be able to "sneak" the window around the shortened arm, but I just couldn't remove it in the 16 degree cold, and besides, I was already late for a meeting. I looked at where the wiper arm attached to the vehicle, and noticed a plastic cover with a little tab. By pressing that, the cover opened revealing a nut holding the wiper arm onto a shaft. Luckily I had a tool kit within a few feet, and I was able to remove the nut and pull the arm off, thus allowing me to close the window.

I still have absolutely no idea how, (1) the rear wiper got in that weird position, and (2) how the rear window could pop open. I did not touch the remote, or the overhead rear hatch/window controls. In retrospect, seeing the rear wiper itself when it was not moving should have been a "red light", but because the pre-2015 Escalades always had a visible rear wiper, it didn't register with me.

As you can see from the other posts, I have no working GPS, Compass, or Onstar because of a bad Onstar module. Could this be related to that???

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Maybe the wiper froze and got stuck in that position? Incorrect about the window not opening if there is a wiper there. That was on the old design.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe the wiper froze and got stuck in that position? Incorrect about the window not opening if there is a wiper there. That was on the old design.
Think about it. The wiper blade needs to be on the OUTSIDE (side) of the window to work. If it were over the window, how could it be possible to lift the window past it? You also need to carefully re-read my post. I said the wiper moved, so it was not frozen in place. It appears to somehow have been about 90 degrees offset from its correct position, so instead of parking fully up when off (so the window could be swung down, it was fully over the window opening preventing the window from being able to be closed. I also did not get a "back window open" indication on the dashboard either.

·
Registered
2015i Escalade Premium
408 Posts
Ok....just pure conjecture here...BUTTTT....the glass or the tailgate each can be operated by a push on the remote.... All my cars have remotes and I have had the occasional occurrence of of having accidentally pushed one of those buttons while the remote was in my pocket and I was sitting down, scrunching around with my coat, etc.......even while in the house! ...and go out and find the tailgate, trunk or something activated as if by magic....SO, if that happened and you didn't notice it , got in the car , started ...put it in reverse AND the front wipers are on AUTO , and, they sense something...activate ...then the rear wiper will activate with a swipe as well...again, IF the car is in reverse it will automatically do a wipe if the front wipers come on. If the glass was up, then the wiper got hung up .......that may not be what happened to you, but electronically it COULD happen just that way!

·
Registered
2013 Platinum ESV 2015 MB GL550 2008 Hummer H2
1,071 Posts
Think about it. The wiper blade needs to be on the OUTSIDE (side) of the window to work. If it were over the window, how could it be possible to lift the window past it? You also need to carefully re-read my post. I said the wiper moved, so it was not frozen in place. It appears to somehow have been about 90 degrees offset from its correct position, so instead of parking fully up when off (so the window could be swung down, it was fully over the window opening preventing the window from being able to be closed. I also did not get a "back window open" indication on the dashboard either.
When the rear glass window is open, the DIC won't show that which has been a flaw for a while. Only way I can tell it's open, if I hear some outside sounds.

The rear glass can open when the person with the key fob accidentally hits the rear glass button when the person sits of the key fob or press the rear glass button rather than the rear tailgate. It happens to me couple times with my past ESVs. Thats why I always check all the windows and doors are fully closed before I drive.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am positive that the rear glass was not up when I got into the car. The car is kept in a garage and I approach it from the side by the rear. I can certainly imagine that it is possible that the remote (which was in my pocket) could have activated the window...BUT...what could have activated the rear wiper without the front wiper activated, and IF the rear window were up, isn't there a lockout to prevent the wiper from activating? (Is there someone here that can see if the rear wiper is supposed to be locked out if the window is not locked?) Finally, I can't see what in the heck could have caused the wiper to lose it's "home" position.

·
Registered
2013 Platinum ESV 2015 MB GL550 2008 Hummer H2
1,071 Posts
Jeiler can probably answer that. Shoot him a PM when you have time or take it to the dealership and asked the Service manage about that.

·
Registered
Cadillac technician
669 Posts
Sounds like the glass was unlocked but not completely open. It probably opened while driving due to the air pressure difference. The rear wiper on this and previous body styles won't move until the body control module sees the window closed, fail safe.
Tell me if your escalade is a 2015i painted to match roof antenna or 2015 all flat black antenna? Do you have any codes set from Onstar, they can still run a diagnostic check without GPS.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like the glass was unlocked but not completely open. It probably opened while driving due to the air pressure difference. The rear wiper on this and previous body styles won't move until the body control module sees the window closed, fail safe.
Everything you just said makes sense. I had my Escalade at the dealer today, and they confirmed that the rear wiper is "locked out" if the rear window is not fully locked. I hear you and them, but I know what I saw when the window was fully open and the rear wiper moved when I turned it on (two separate times). The weirdest part still is how the wiper arm (which was fully tight to the shaft) relocated about 90 degrees from where it should have been. The service tech said the motor is anchored in four places.

·
Registered
Cadillac technician
669 Posts
I think what happened was the glass was ajar as you drove out of the garage, allowing no warning and minimum wiper operation, once it became fully open the wiper could not home, so it stayed where it was.
Is the interior lamp override turned to the off position in your vehicle? You should have had at least the interior lamps come on to warn you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think what happened was the glass was ajar as you drove out of the garage, allowing no warning and minimum wiper operation, once it became fully open the wiper could not home, so it stayed where it was.
Is the interior lamp override turned to the off position in your vehicle? You should have had at least the interior lamps come on to warn you.
This happened in the morning, but the interior override was not pushed, and there were no interior lights that activated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts