Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'72 Eldorado Convertible, '97 Eldorado ETC, '93 Fleetwood
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally a nice day to work on the '72, which is close to running--and just might, given a non-empty tank . . .

But first, the '97 ETC had to get out of the way; it's been sitting with a disconnected battery since October when the '93 Fleetwood came.

So connect the charger, but first an hour fighting the positive terminal whose spacer had come off.

The '93, even with a recen t battery, never got charged enough to do more than click the motor (I gave it more than an hour, with a monster motor).

So push it into the driveway, and connect the charger to the '72.

To get a head start, put the '72 in neutral, and push back to have a couple more feet to work with.

For some reason, no dice there, either.

Put a couple of gallons of gas in the '72. Prime the carb.

Just a click, even with the 200A starting setting on my charger.

Finally, give in, and pus the '97 back in the garage.

Grr.

I suppose next is to jack up the front of the '72 to see if I can turn the wheels, or if the transmission has seized . . .

Maybe next weekend (but Saturday is probably taking the '93 on a mustang run, as the mustang is having issues, too . . .)

sigh

hawk

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,394 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like my Dad. 15 Camaro, 15 Silverado, and an 09 DTS in the garage. He finally took to starting them every couple of weeks to avoid battery rundown.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm planning on adding tenders, yes.

I'm assuming I'll build my own with arduinos, which would doze for a couple of days at a time, sample voltage, and then engage in a light cycle. Also, to report voltage and activity back over bluetooth or wifi .

I left the little Eldorado on the charger for a couple of hours with the timer yesterday, and when I checked this morning, it read 12.9v (several hours after the last charge), but only gave me a click when turning the key.

sigh

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that battery was replaced quite recently with a top of the line . . .

also, it now occurs to me, that these failures to spin the starter are with a 200A charger connected to the battery clips. I think the wires from the charger are about 4 gauge . . .

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,716 Posts
That is probably sufficient wire, depending on the length of the runs. Less than 4 ft and it's okay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts